Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time poster

Options
TheEggLady
TheEggLady Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi - I got my large egg Memorial Day weekend and have been reading here since then but have never posted. DH has always manned the grill (no pun intended) but when I learned about The Big Green Egg I decided I wanted one of these - main thing I wanted was a grill/smoker suitable for making great ribs and pulled pork - something DH never made on the Weber charcoal grill. We went to a home and garden show and ran into a guy doing a BGE demo and pitch and that was it - I knew I had to get one. So we got it up and running Memorial weekend and proceeded to make unbeliebably fantastic ribs right off the bat. I couldn't believe how well they turned out. So we made them a couple more times over the summer for guests and everyone raved about how good they were. DH has been cooking the other usual summer fare and getting used to the BGE. Tonight I am cooking my first butt. We have some issues though since the grill has always been DH's domain. He can't quite get used to my "interference" with grilling. He got the butt going a little too hot to start with so now I am monitoring and making sure the temp is stablized before I go to bed (he's already gone).

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy and thanks for all the great info I've been reading over the summer.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    TheEggLady,

Welcome! Post some pics of your cooks. We live for that :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Some folks have solved that issue with his and hers eggs, sort of like the two sinks in the bath room. Glad to here you are enjoying your eggs they are certainly fun. Careful though you may find yourself stopping random strangers on the street and spending an hour trying to convince them that there life will not be complete unless they buy an egg. I am watching a couple of butts myself. good luck with yours.
    Pdub
  • Little Chef
    Options
    TheEggLady: Welcome!! yay! More girl power in here! :laugh: Whatever you do, don't let him think you are confident lighting the Egg.. :blink: ..worst mistake I ever made. :pinch: :) Let him light the egg for you at least...sheesh... :huh:
    Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Egg-addiction! You will learn lots here. The Egg is certainly far more than just a smoker! Welcome to another lady egger. B)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HI THERE! Another lady joins our ranks!!!!! look out guys we are growing in numbers :P B):kiss:
    But really :) welcome and just yell if you need any help there is a great search feature if you are looking form anything. with so many members and so many posts most things are in there somewhere ;) learn to post pics as Steven said we love to look at what you are doing. Where are you located? also like Michelle said let him light it, it makes them feel important. )although I do love my weed burner :evil: )Julie
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    You sound exactly like me and my DH! He's finally acknowledged that I do a better job with the BGE, so I'm the primary cook and he's the helper. :)

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to some pictures of your cooks and recipes!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Welcome, EggLady
    Yeah, it sounds like there's another egg in your future,
    Have fun and post some pics
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Glad to have you here. You are going to have to entertain more now, youre friends will expect it!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Welcome, TEL, this is an excellent resource for eggers.

BTW, your handle didn't come from a John Waters movie, did it?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Oh no, not Edie.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
  • TheEggLady
    Options
    Nope - never heard of John Waters. I googled John Waters and The Egg Lady though and found a you tube video. Oh my!!! Just so you know - I don't look (or sound) anything like that!
  • TheEggLady
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!! His and hers eggs - never thought of that. I know people have multiple eggs but I'm still not over the major splurge of getting one.

My butt is still cooking - it's about 190 degrees. We had quite a bit of temperature fluctuation in the egg over the course of the night - between 200-300. I got up about 4:30 to check on it and it had gone up from 250. Now that I'm awake again I have it around 240. It smells really good. I will try to remember to take some pictures. I think I did take some pics of the ribs. I'll try to find them. Can you post inline photos here just by inserting the code from something like Photobucket? That's how I do it on other forums.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Yes on the photo question. Look forward to the pics
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, and thank goodness! :woohoo:
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Options
    Hey, another lady egger here! Glad to know there are more of us out there. Our eggventure started in 2009 when I bought DH an XL BGE to replace his Weber. We both became adicted and the rest is history...I bought MY egg at the Texas Eggfest this past April, so now we're a his & her family. I had never been interested in grilling (all his job) until the egg came along. Now I cook as much or more than he does!

He's gone on a hunting trip and I'm getting ready to fire up 'Lil Mama (my egg) and cook just for myself. Is that what they call an addiction? :whistle:
  • Tweety
    Options
    Welcome to the family EggLady. Be sure to go to some Eggfests, they're so much fun and you'll meet some of the characters that you talk to online! Everyone is so nice and the "after parties" are the best. That's when everyone cooks for each other (not the public) and we bring out the REALLY good food! Hope to meet you at an Eggfest someday.
  • Tweety
    Options
    LC - Is your eggfest the one I saw online that was out on the beach? My husband and I saw the video online and want to attend that one next year. If that's the right one, is it always out on the beach? Looked like so much fun.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Yes, please post pictures! My man is still a barrel smoker guy who stays away from my Egg, but not the food that comes off of it. Welcome to the family.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Welcome to the family. My wife has not "crossed" into my domain....YET. But I'm sure she will. :whistle: She does laugh at me for being so "into" the egg and this forum.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum you will love your egg, and we have another lady chef to join our girls group. Have fun and enjoy your egg, post pics if you can.

Patti
    Wichita, KS