Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping for new gasket

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gasket prep techniques are as varied gasket material choice and everyone has their favorite. Today I prepped mine w/ what I feel is the quickest and easiest: the 3M Rust and Paint remover on a drill. I scraped off what remained of my dome gasket w/ razor blade. Figured it looked pretty clean so maybe some solvent would do the trick. Fail. Stinks and just made a sticky mess. Didn't waste any more time and got out my drill and 3M wheel. 15 minutes later and it's clean as a hound's tooth!

photo-2-2.jpg

While the dome was off and getting ready for new gasket, I decided to clean the inside of the dome. First time in about 10 years. Scraped w/ putty knife, balled up aluminum foil, and finally with a metal mesh scouring pad. Stuff must have been over an 1/8 inch thick. Here's the pile of "Dome Leavin's":

photo-1-2.jpg

Comments