Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing steak question

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier about needing a new dome thermometer and whether to get the 150-750 or the 200-1000. This leads me to another question. I have always nuked my egg to sear a steak but I read somwehere, I think Adam Perry Lang's book that 650 is the correct temperature to sear a steak. I always wondered if I was burning the fat by having such a high temp/flame. Your thoughts?

PS I can't get my thermometer out of the egg. I've even tried pliers. Any suggestions?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I usually sear a steak at 400-450 dome but I'll put a grid on the spider close to the 1200 degree lump
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I go 550-600 depending on thickness of steak. Try not to use a rub with sugar as it will burn.

RIBEYE2DSCN0211.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Same here. 400° dome. Except I put a small CI grid directly on the coals for the sear. Add a grid higher up for the roast. Doing it as we speak, in fact. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• don't forget, the dome temp on a high heat cook is an indication of how much lump is ignited and burning at 1200+ degrees .

dome might say 650, but the searing is taking place from the direct heat from the lump, at 1200-1500 degrees... or more.

650 means a smaller fire, not a cooler one.

fwiw, i used to sear at 750 plus, mainly because i could.

650 700 is fine for me now. no need to be the hero
  • I am a failure at low 'n slow brisket...Not too bad at low 'n slow butts, pretty damn good at 3-2-1 ribs, but after several years, I consider myself a master at eggin' filets and salmon. Did the filets tonight and they were incredible...seared at 600, finished at 400.

We found a new Meat Store in my neighborhood where they only sell prime beef...this place is really cool, and the quality of everything they sell is great. Wish I had taken pix. Two beautiful filets, seasoned with Dizzy's "Raisin the Steaks"--turned out picture perfect over my cast iron grate! Warm red centers, beautiful char marks!.

All for naught, however. The wife (my third) announced tonight that she likes the gas-grill-taste better. Can you imagine the low class, base, low rent, lack of good taste in any human being?
  • you ain't dead yet. there's time for a fourth wife ;)
  • Ya know? Between my brother and me, we've made 5 Mrs. Aldridges.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Dawgtired
    As for the thermometer - once you have the clip off the inside you may find there is a "gunk" build up behind it on the stem of the thermometer - Options:
    1- try to scrape it clean and then remove
    2- tin snips and cut it off at the base on the outside and let it drop through
    3- a little scrapping and a hammer to drive it out (like removing a nail from a board)

hope this helps
    Kent Madison MS
  • That's what I assumed happened. I already banged the tip to the hole but that's as far as it will go. I'll try and figure it out tomorrow.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Since your going to replace it... snip it off on the outside and push the "now cut" stem back through the inside...
    Kent Madison MS