Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Searing steak question

DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 216
edited 12:42PM in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier about needing a new dome thermometer and whether to get the 150-750 or the 200-1000. This leads me to another question. I have always nuked my egg to sear a steak but I read somwehere, I think Adam Perry Lang's book that 650 is the correct temperature to sear a steak. I always wondered if I was burning the fat by having such a high temp/flame. Your thoughts?

PS I can't get my thermometer out of the egg. I've even tried pliers. Any suggestions?
·

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    I usually sear a steak at 400-450 dome but I'll put a grid on the spider close to the 1200 degree lump
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,875
    I go 550-600 depending on thickness of steak. Try not to use a rub with sugar as it will burn.

RIBEYE2DSCN0211.jpg
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,470
    Same here. 400° dome. Except I put a small CI grid directly on the coals for the sear. Add a grid higher up for the roast. Doing it as we speak, in fact. :)
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • don't forget, the dome temp on a high heat cook is an indication of how much lump is ignited and burning at 1200+ degrees .

dome might say 650, but the searing is taking place from the direct heat from the lump, at 1200-1500 degrees... or more.

650 means a smaller fire, not a cooler one.

fwiw, i used to sear at 750 plus, mainly because i could.

650 700 is fine for me now. no need to be the hero
    ·
  • I am a failure at low 'n slow brisket...Not too bad at low 'n slow butts, pretty damn good at 3-2-1 ribs, but after several years, I consider myself a master at eggin' filets and salmon. Did the filets tonight and they were incredible...seared at 600, finished at 400.

We found a new Meat Store in my neighborhood where they only sell prime beef...this place is really cool, and the quality of everything they sell is great. Wish I had taken pix. Two beautiful filets, seasoned with Dizzy's "Raisin the Steaks"--turned out picture perfect over my cast iron grate! Warm red centers, beautiful char marks!.

All for naught, however. The wife (my third) announced tonight that she likes the gas-grill-taste better. Can you imagine the low class, base, low rent, lack of good taste in any human being?
    ·
  • you ain't dead yet. there's time for a fourth wife ;)
    ·
  • Ya know? Between my brother and me, we've made 5 Mrs. Aldridges.
    ·
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Dawgtired
    As for the thermometer - once you have the clip off the inside you may find there is a "gunk" build up behind it on the stem of the thermometer - Options:
    1- try to scrape it clean and then remove
    2- tin snips and cut it off at the base on the outside and let it drop through
    3- a little scrapping and a hammer to drive it out (like removing a nail from a board)

hope this helps
    Kent Madison MS
    ·
  • That's what I assumed happened. I already banged the tip to the hole but that's as far as it will go. I'll try and figure it out tomorrow.
    ·
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Since your going to replace it... snip it off on the outside and push the "now cut" stem back through the inside...
    Kent Madison MS
    ·