Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Permatex Ultra Copper for gasket

thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone told me you could use the Permatex Ultra Copper hi temp silicone gasket just by itself.....nothing else needed

Has anyone tried this?
·

Comments

• I know one poster has done this but can't remember which one and never heard of an update to its success.
    ·
  • kjedkjed Posts: 55
    I did it. I put a thick bead of the stuff on the lip of the base, with voids at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. I placed wax paper over the bead, placed some small wooden dowels (the kind you get when you buy assembly-required furniture) in the voids, closed the lid, and waited 24 hours.

The next day, I lifted the lid, and was pleased to find that the wax paper had flattened all the way around - in other words, I had applied the bead at uniform thickness all the way around and didn't have any shallow spots. I then took some more permatex, filled in the voids where I had the dowels, placed wax paper over them, closed the lid, and waited another 24 hours.

When all was said and done, I had a couple spots where the Permatex had flowed over the edge of the lip. I trimmed those spots with a utility knife. I now have an ugly-looking, but nice tight seal. I never get any smoke leakage.

The other thing I did later was just put a cut in the seal, so that I can squeeze my Guru probe wire in and not create a gap.

Hope this helps,
    Keith
    ·
  • Thanks for the reply
    ·
  • I would suggest using Saran Wrap instead of wax paper. I'll explain tomorrow, but take my word for it.
    ·
  • NinerNiner Posts: 9
    why use saran wrap instead of wax paper?
    ·