Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making pizza dough a day ahead?

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're having company Monday. We've already treated them to pulled pork off the Egg so this time I would like to do pizzas. I have to have them cooked by noon so I would like to make the dough a day ahead of time. I use the Garlic and Butter Pizza Dough recipe found here on the forum. My question is should I let it do the first rise before I refrigerate it or will it rise enough in the frig to count as the first rise or take it out early and let it rise? Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I let mine double in size then punch it down and put it in the fridge. A gallon size Ziplock with a spray of Pam works great for proofing the dough, just don't seal it. -RP
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Greetings,
    I always do my pizza doughs several days ahead of time, sometimes by 3-5 days. mix your dough until it gets incorporated then let it rest for 5 minutes continue to knead for another 5-10 and then spray some ziplocks, divide your dough and throw it in the fridge or freezer. Take it out about 2 hrs before you are ready to use it and it will be fine.

DSC_0836.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Petunia
    When we make pizza dough in advance, we proof the yeast with only a 1/2 cup of water, then when we mix all the ingredients we add cold water to the proofed yeast to slow down the process, kneed, and put in refrigerator. We have held it for 2-3 days before pulling it and allowing to return to room temp - it will slowly rise, but after bring back to room temp, it gets going quickly..
    It is hard to stretch and roll if it is cold, so make sure it gets warm before you attempt....
    Kent Madison MS
  • wnbasac
    Options
    i looked at your pic with the peel and wondered why my pis sticks to the peel no matter what i use, cornmeal,flour???????
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I do a minimum of two days in the refrigerator.

RE: Pizza peel - cornmeal

Spacey