Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter

Options
Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to put some hickory chunks into my fire before I put on the butt. The problem i run into is I have allready put the place setter on in order to heat up and stabalize my egg. It is difficult to remove the place setter in order to put in the wood. Is there a tool to remove it without burning me?

Comments

• otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    I use the heavy leather gloves that came with my fish cooker. Of course you can put chips/chunks in with the lump if you remember
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Use welder's gloves, but be quick about it. Have a place picked out where you can put it BEFORE you pick it up!! A 250° PS isn't too bad, but you don't want to be standing around with it for too long! :woohoo:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    A pair of "The Ove Glove's" . These thigs really work "As seen on TV". I guess a couple of nornal oven mitts would work as well.

Can just lift one side of the platesetter and plce your chunks then cook your butt.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I use heavy welding gloves as well. If i catch myself needing to throw my chunks on and I dont have my gloves handy, I just use my ash tool and hook one side of the plate setter and tilt it up enough to throw them in.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I have two bricks on my table to set my hot plate setter on using my long welders gloves. Tim ;)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Exactly. Preplan - welder gloves - move quick
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Like Carolina Q said, use the mits and have a spot picked out to put the plate setter. No problems if its done quickly ;)