Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Oven gasket

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I couldn't find a Rutland, but I did get a high temperature oven gasket from an appliance repair store. It is the woven tubular kind. Is this OK? My third gasket fell off yesterday. I have the 3M high temp spray adhesive. I'll spray some into a little plastic cup and paint it on the rim. It didn't burn up, just fell off. Do other ceramic cookers have the same gasket problems? So frustrating. I'll only replace the bottom. The top's been gone for weeks.
PattyO

Comments

• I'm not sure about the gasket, I'd assume it is OK. Consider some of the Permatex Ultra Copper for the adhesive instead of the 3M spray.
  • The high temp silicone adhesive is superior to the 3M product in my humble opinion.
  • PattyO
    Where can I get that Ultra Copper or High Temp silicon adhesive? Is something in a tube instead of a spray?
    Any suggestions how to pre-clean my egg? The initial adhesive came off with the felt gasket. Maybe just some acetone and a half hour drying time?
    Thanks.
    PattyO
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Take a look at Freds Music and BBQ website. He has walkthrough on how to replace a gasket. Thought I throw it out there for you. Can't hurt.

Stef in Brunswick,Oh. Go Blue!!
  • PattyO
    Thank you. That site is huge, do you have the url for the instructions? I am able to connect to his page, just can't findi the tutorial.
    PattyO
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    personally I would not use that round gasket. Here's a site that just might give you some ideas wink wink!
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • the 3m isn't high temp, it's just rubber cement (latex), thinned to the point where it is sprayable.

and so spraying into a cup defeats the whole idea of the spray can. just buy rubber cement (or contact cement) if you don't want to spray it. it's the same stuff

and actually... it only works with the felt because of the surface area and fibers. it won't do jack for you with a tubular oven gasket. use the high temp silicone adhesive (gasket sealer/maker), from an autopart store or hardware store
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Patty, I love the ultracopper (on Rutland anyway - don't know about any other gaskets). You can find it anywhere they sell auto parts. Comes in a tube...

0000-Permatex-Ultra-Copper-Silicone-Gasket-Sealant---.jpg

Ace Hardware sells Rutland products - around here anyway. I think they have Permatex too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Someone told me you could use the Permatex Ultra Copper hi temp silicone gasket just by itself.....nothing else needed

Has anyone tried this?
  • PattyO
    Alright. I read that. Are you still selling the kits? Can I get one? Can this be used on the bottom only with nothing on the top? That one fell off a while ago. Can you tell me how to clean off the base without using a drill. It looks pretty clean to me because the adhesive came off with the felt. Should I use acetone or nail polish remover or paint and rust stripper with a rag? Or a scraping knife?
    Oy.I shouldn't have to be a mechanic to enjoy my egg.
    PattyO
  • Carolina Q
    Patti, what size egg are you doing? The kit mentioned in Ron's article is for a large and will not fit the mini (much too wide). I don't know the wall thickness of the other size eggs so I don't know what you need for those.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PattyO
    This one is a medium. Should I just forget about the oven gasket I already purchased?
    PattyO
  • I always figure those might be worth investigating. Whatdo you have to lose?
  • PattyO
    Investing in what? This thread is all out of order. Tools? Power tools? I don't know how to use them. I'd probably damage the egg. There are no eggers in my area. So sad. I'm better with solvent. Maybe I should scrape it off and use a solvent, then go with my original investment of the oven gasket and get some of the high temp adhesive in a tube. Again, like you said, what have I got to lose.
    Right now I'm having a hell of a time getting my egg up to temp. I pulled everything apart and put in new lump. I'm trying to do the DO no knead bread and can't get over 400'. I even used the hair dryer at the bottom vent. I need screaming hot. I'll give it another half hour.
    Frustrating day.
    PattyO
  • Carolina Q
    Sorry, wish I could help, but I don't know anything about oven gaskets. Maybe Stike is right though (I hear that happens every so often). :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sounds like you are in flat view.

Most of us reply in classic view, so we can see who is replying to who(m)
  • PattyO
    I'm sorry. I misunderstood. You wrote investigating and I read investing. As I said, frustrating day. I'm holding a hair dryer at the bottom vent trying to keep the temp up for the DO bread. Nine more minutes.
    PattyO