Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp drop on butt?

Options
chumdog
chumdog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Butts went on yesterday at a little after 5 PM. Temp got as high as 181 and has dropped to 176 the past couple of hours. Dome is staying steady at 250. Am I experiencing a late plateau? I know I should be patient, but I have 30 people that may beg to differ later today. What should I do? Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    chumdog wrote:
    I know I should be patient...

Good advice. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    That's what is happening. Mine are right there now also. You can bump up the temp if you like and or foil them, but I would just let it do its thing. If you need it done quicker, foil them.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Unless you want to eat in the next couple hours, you should let it ride. They sometimes do drop temp in the plateau. I had a 12 pounder that I cooked yesterday that had a 5 degree drop that set there for almost 4 hours. When it does take back off it will go fast. It can actualy pick up 10 degrees in the matter of an hour. Your fine. Go back to bed :woohoo:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Don't know what size butts you are doing, but I have seen mine do this from time to time. They've been on over 12 hrs. Unless you are doing more than 12-14 lbs., they should be good to bump the temp say to 275 and see if that starts them climbing again...you want to give them as much time as possible in the plateau so all of the colligen converts..but then it's fine to foil and/or bump the temp even as high as 300+
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Your doing just fine. Keep an eye on your cook and know what it's doing. ;) Good job! :) Now be patient. :) Tim