Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13 lb brisket

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I got it injected and resting in the fridge, gonna slather it with mustard and rub, cook @ 215 degrees and want to use hickory chunks and apple chips with my lump. How many dry hickory chunks should I add (its the first time i've used them) with probably 2 handfulls of the apple chips so that I dont overpower the meat for this long cook (estimating about 16 hours I think)

Thanks

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    If you are cooking at 215* dome it will never be done. If you are cooking at 215* grate it will take a lot longer than 16 hours. I would bump up your dome temp to around 250*.

Besides that two or three chunks have worked good for me along with some chips mixed throughout the coals. I have never used apple for brisket so let me know how that turns out.
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    I will run the temp at the grate, been following a hybrid of different recipes but following this technique pretty closely

http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

i may run 225 at grate to make sure...I want it to be servable at halftime of the game tommrow (approx 5:00)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Personally, I find trying to monitor grid temps to be very frustrating. You can be too close to the cold meat or too close to the heat wash coming around the platesetter. Dome temps are much more stable and will give you a consistant cooking temperature representative. I would cook it at 250 dome temp indirect and know what I am going to end up with and the amount of time it will take.
  • llrickman
    Options
    I agree 250 dome is the way to go that should give you somewhere aroung 225 grate temp

Also alot easier keeping you fire from going out at 250
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Just say "No" to the mustard and bump that temp up to 250-275. If you are using chunks, put a bunch in there and let the egg burn for at least an hour at your target temp before putting the meat on.
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    so if im going to use the stoker I should clip the temperature probe high and maintain at 250? or clip to grid and maintain 225?
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Well by all means go for it. Bubba Tim and Little Chef definitely know what they are doing. I may have to try their technique as well for my next brisket cook. Good luck!
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Go 250 at the grid.
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Allow yourself 2 hours per pound.1.5 is the norm but it will hold for HOURS in a good cooler.Better to be done a little early than late.