Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time on multible butts ?

Options
Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All,
I recently cooked a couple of seven pound bone in pork Butts that required a 24 hour cook on my large BGE to reach 195 degrees. I gave the second butt to my buddy who is now having a Labor Day party and wants me to cook four butts. Will it require additional time? If so how much? I plan on stacking them on my raised grid--two below and two above. They are all about 7 to 8 pounds each like the original two that required 24 hours at 210 degrees dome. Thanks, Tuna

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    As long as they aren't touching, the cook time for four butts is the same as for one butt of the same size.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    how big are they....if you have a large and stand them on their side you can cook 4 on one level...

What dome temp did you cook at (and is your dome therm calibrated). At 250-275 (and that would be 225-250 grid. Anything lower and it will take an awfully long time to get the meat to 195-200) seems way too long. The rule of thumb is generally 1.5-2 hrs a lb. At 250-260 dome my 8lbers usually take about 15 hours.

Use the individual pieces of meat to calculate time. If they are touching it may increase time, but Butts shrink a lot, and will pull away from each other.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    unless you really enjoy a 24 hour cook, raise the dome to 250 and plan on 14 to 16 hours.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    Options
    just saw your 210 dome...which means you were cooking closer to 195 or even less for some of the cook...

bump that up and let it settle in between 250 and 275 and you will be fine, 14-16 hours.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - good idea on four butts set on their side--i'll go that route. The 24 hour pork was sooo good i'd hate to change it -- the moisture content was a killer! I have the Guru and it does ammaze me how accurate it maintains temps. I have reloaded my lump with fresh R.O. from Walmart so there should be no problem since i did this on my first 24 hour cook and had use only half the fuel.
    Thanks Again, Charlie Tuna
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    As the others have said, you should bump the temp up to 250 dome. At 210 dome you are only at 190-195 grid. It's hard to get something to 195-200 degrees if the cooking temp at the meat is 190-195.
    The only effect a lot of meat has is that it'll take a little longer to get back up to temp because of the larger cold mass. But if you're using a guru/stoker that time is minimal. Don't worry about the butts touching each other. They start to shrink as soon as they start warming up and they pull away from each other.
  • crghc98
    Options
    agreed, and at 250 I don't think you will see any difference in moisture in the egg....Remember the benefit of the egg is that it retains moisture....
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    I agree as well. Bump your temp up to 250. I've never had any issues with the meat not being moist enough and I dont think you'll be able to tell a bit of difference.
    Good luck