Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOW! What a day....

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wish you all could have been at our house today! At 10:00 a school bus arrived, loaded with high school students, teachers, a case of ribs and a box of chicken parts for an Outdoor Cooking class with the Appledogs. We grilled chocolate chip cookies & brownies, and the the ribs & chicken - rubbed, jerked, basted &/or parboiled (in jerk & beer), grilled over lump, briquettes, gas & wood on 2 BGEs, 2 Weber kettles & a gas grill, a BGE chiminea plus a huge pot of corn boiled on a Rocky Mountain Range. The kids were all able to create their own rubs and sauce mixtures from ingredients we had ready for them and did a really fantastic job. [p]I'm ready for that beer now! [p]BONE appétit. JCA

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Please tell me that I read that wrong.
    You parb … p … p. (I can’t even write the word) Ribs? :) [p]At least they were jerked.[p]Congratulations on teaching some of the youngsters in Michigan that there are more than the three spices that they are used to: salt, pepper and ketchup.[p]Yeah, you are right, a beer does sound good.[p]Way to go,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• J Appledog
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Yes I did - A lot of people do that around here. I needed to prove that it is a waste of beer! JCA

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Sounds like it was a good day. I can't imagine a busload of high school students being dropped off at my house. I think I would have shown them the grills, insured the heck out of the house, and gone out to eat. [p]I used to boil ribs prior to getting an egg. It did make them nice and tender and cooked some interesting flavors into them. Not necessary on a BGE but on a normal grill it did its job of tenderizing and flavoring. We used to use the cheapest beer we would find, around here thats on the level of Blatz or Stag, we could pick up a case for about 4 bucks on sale. There's a bar here in town that has Stag on DRAFT, what a waste of bar space.[p]Hope there werent too many burned fingers or anything else, sounds like you deserve that beer now.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Have you ever heard of letting ribs baste in beer over night...then rub then and cook them slow...
    They fall of the bone...I learned this in England

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Why did I know there would be another sensational AppleDog event on a day when any chance of my being in town was not in the cards.[p]Congrats[p]K~G[p]

• Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Options
    J Appledog, where's your sense of adventure. Try all that with a bunch of , oh, how about third graders. Seriously, I'll bet it was a lot of fun.

• J Appledog
    Options
    KennyG,
    When WILL you be back this way? Cottage is open, boat's running great & the freezer's full of wierd meat. Julie

• The Colonel
    The Colonel Posts: 87
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Your go girl. It is really great working with excited young minds--especially in the food arena. Hats off to you from one who teaches each day.
    yours in the egg--The Colonel

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Carol and I will be sneaking into town one of these summer weekends for a little get away. Just when you think it's safe to answer that knock on the door......[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    J Appledog, Yikes..that was a honorable job well done..Congrat's..almost makes me wish I was a "SAGE" fellow...:-)
    Nothing beats the taste of pork burgers on buns treated to your disappearing mustard...Sounds like lunch for me tomorrow..Chowser..C~W[p]

• J Appledog
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Little Sage is turning in to real keeper - keeps us on our toes and keeps us laughing! JCA

• J Appledog
    Options
    The Colonel,
    Thank you. Your kind words mean a lot. JCA