Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Set-up Help -4 Butt attempt w/o AR

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying to do 4 8# butts on my Large. Don't have the AR. I know, I'll order it now.

I do have...
Plate Setter
2 Lg Porc. rid
1 med. Porc. grid
BGE Grid Extender (dont think it would support the 2 butts)
'Access' to somewhat 'flat' fire bricks

Any help on doing a double grid set up with 2 butts on each?

Trying to impress the guys for our fantasy football draft. You know...they all focus on the pulled pork; while I pick Peyton Manning and a few more Colts. ;)

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    You have everything you need. Platesetter legs up, drip pan, grid, 2 butts, stack firebricks at the edge of the butted grid, place another grid on them and top with your 2 other butts, no problem at all!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06401JPGa.jpg

It's a tight fit on one grate, but if the shape of them is just right it works. The grate extender does have some flex to it, but it will hold a couple of butts... it might sag a bit, but the butts underneath it will prevent it from sagging too far.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fornia
    Options
    Steve,
    I hear ya...but as I'm looking at it. The height of the butts is gonna make the total stack tight with in the dome. I'm assuming you're saying top grid should be my Med (or smaller) grid?

I was just thinking I needed to keep things as low as possible (ie. AR/Spider set up).

Maybe I'm just looking at it after a tough work week. Here's to a 3.5 day weekend. :woohoo:

Thirdeye, Thank you. I'm just worried that I wont get them all on without them touching a bunch. Again, I need to look at it in the light tomorrow. :) Thanks you!
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Honestly, just cram them in the egg, touching or not. It's hard to screw up butts.
  • Fornia
    Options
    Right on! We'll figure something out. Thanks for the reinforcement guys.

Now...off to get an AR. I do want to try jerky this winter anyway. :)
  • hornhonk
    Options
    The AR and spider are worth every penny. ;) Make sure you get the stone that fits the spider, as the AR doesn't work with a platesetter.
  • I have cooked 4 Butts a couple of times w/o a AR. I place 3 Butts on the normal grid and place a smaller grid on top of the 3 butts along with the 4th butt. I have no pics but it works well for me.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    This is the way to go if the 4 won't fit on one level. I can usually get 4 if I can stand them on their side...they will be touching though.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    here is what i do with a smaller grate...

c1c912a6.jpg
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    hornhonk wrote:
    The AR and spider are worth every penny. ;) Make sure you get the stone that fits the spider, as the AR doesn't work with a platesetter.

there is a new oval stone that fits in the AR.
  • Fornia
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Ended up going with the Butt Stack.

Put 2 smaller butts on Med. grid on top of the 2 largest.

Now my only worry is that the top/front butt is gonna eject onto my feet when I eventually open the egg.

Oh well...I've got my glove ready! :P

Maybe they'll melt into the grid and hold on???

IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    Grabbed a cheap platic box at Wally World..cut 2 notches out under locking lid. Gonna try to put thermometers in there. Calling for a light rain, most likely put it in a bag to be safe. I know, I know, dome is off center. :blush:
    IMG_1579.jpg