Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible blastphemy

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My doctor has put me on the DASH diet for hypertension and that precludes such delicacies as pulled pork, ribs, etc. Obviously,ABTs are such a high fat item that they are not even considered anymore. Well, the FatDog is not one to give up so easily so I have been experimenting. Here is the latest iteration of my redo of ABTs.[p]I started with poblano peppers as I don't really enjoy the heat of jalapenos. I stuffed them with a mixture of fat-free cream cheese, chopped turkey that had been roasted on the egg, and chopped dried cranberries. I capped them off with turkey bacon and put them on the egg at 300 degrees. They came off fairly well but they need a little heat ... of I'm off in search of a slightly hotter pepper. [p]If anyone has had any successful low-fat cooks, please share. For those in need of such, I am thinking about putting together a compendium of low-fat egg friendly meals.

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    FatDog,[p]How did your cream cheese come out? I used it before and the cheese didn't melt right. It came of lumpy. Did yours?[p]Steve-B
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    FatDog,
    If you do put together something, maybe you can put into Living Cookbook format and we'll post it on my website if you like.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    FatDog,[p]By DASH diet, do you mean Mrs. Dash, instead of other seasonings that contain salt or is he trying to reduce fat intake, too? There are rubs that don't have much salt and I'm sure someone could suggest some without any. I'm not a doctor, but is fair to sweat a little salt out and then take more in?
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    FatDog,[p]For a bit more heat from the peppers, try pasillas or cubanelles, both fairly widely available in grocery stores. Last resort, you could sprinkle red pepper or chipotle flakes into the filling of your poblanos. [p]And don't overlook the lower-fat alternatives available in various forms of mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheeses. Some of these can be both lower in fat and Sodium. These can be enjoyable alternatives to the "traditional" cream cheese filling.[p]When it comes to ABTs, I'd say that the rule is that there are no rules.[p]Bob
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    FatDog,
    Good thinking on the ABT's. You mentioned turkey bacon... I tried it and I like it. I saved some for my next batch of ABT's. I may even try some of the other ingredient suggestions. Thanks. [p]Spring "On Hold" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo FatDog,
    You might leave in the veins and some of the seeds on the poblanos. That should heat it up some.
    Dan

• FatDog
    Options
    Yazoo,
    Nope ... the diet has precious little to do with Mrs. Dash (although you can certainly use it!). The long title for the diet is Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension and is designed to lower blood pressure through diet - works so far. Great program with good food (except no BBQ --- heavy sadness).[p]Doc

[ul][li]DASH Diet Info (.pdf file)[/ul]
  • FatDog
    Options
    Steve-B,
    The cream cheese doesn't behave as well as the full fat kind but didn't lump. I used a store brand (Food Lion) fat free cream cheese and it worked out just fine. It seems a bit sweeter than the full fat variety but that may very well be a function of what I am putting in my mix (cranberries). Still not too crazy about the turkey bacon but will keep experimenting.[p]Doc

• FatDog
    Options
    Yazoo,
    About the salt ... no. Sorry, but I think it doesn't work that way. In order to sweat the salt out, you would have to pass it through your system first - and that is what we are trying to avoid. Nice try, though! Sorta' like trying to justify that extra cold adult beverage on a hot afternoon.[p]A good friend once said, "A day without a good rationalization is a day shot in the head."

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    FatDog,[p]I was curious myself as to what might be a suitable chile to try next. I ran across this table of peppers, rated as per their rank on the Scoville scale. You might be interested.
    [ul][li]Chiles Ranked by Scoville Scale[/ul]
  • Something else you may want to consider ...[p]Instead of bacon or turkey bacon, maybe try some trimmed, lean prosciutto. I'm not sure of the exact fat content or sodium level BUT you'd normally use paper thin slices, which contain lot of flavor. I'd be willing to bet you'd be lots better off (nutritionally) doing this than even using the turkey bacon.[p]For some reason, I've gotten so I don't care for bacon like I used to because of what I perceive as being a very fatty taste. I've toyed with trying this approach to ABTs myself but haven't gotten around to it.
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    FatDog,
    Looks like a good, healthy eating plan, but it doesn't exclude all barbecue. You can certainly slow-cook skinless chicken breasts, turkey breasts, well trimmed pork chops, etc. I challenge you to come up with some tasty salt-free rubs and sops to go on these. Don't forget your twice weekly recommended dose of grilled salmon or tuna (go ahead, twist my arm and make me eat it!). You can still cook a lot of good meats on the egg. I guess the key is going to be portion control (= self control, like I have any).[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    FatDog,[p]My family and I all really enjoy turkey breasts. Any leftovers would be a good source of meat for your low fat ABT's.[p]Salmon?[p]To Your Health,
    Jethro