Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cincy Eggers, Great Rib Source!

Options
Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have shopped at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield before, but never bought ribs. Picked up a single rack the other day and here are the results :ohmy: 4952658660_8c92e46539.jpg
P8310014 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

4952659926_268c59b66b.jpg
P9010016 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

4952068831_4c18d10ec6.jpg
P9010017 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

These were the most tender, meatiest ribs I have ever
fixed, Jungle Jim's Rocks! :woohoo: :cheer:

Capt Frank
Homosassa, FL [and part time Cincy]

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Is that their Jungle Ribs? I always stock up on them. How did you fix yours? I love JJs, it's a yearly event for me. I was there two weeks ago, and ready to return.
    Maybe we should plan a group field trip. You know, with a meet n greet, JJs the next day and after party that nite. I like the Holiday Inn Express on Rt. 4, a mile down the road. Let's make a list.
    PattyO
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    That would be great! I'm sure we could count on Rebecca and Bitslammer, Maybe some others will read this post and chime in.
    I rub my ribs with 1/2 DP Dizzy Dust and !/2 Raging river, cook at 250. These were so thick they took 6hrs and I ramped up the temp to 325 for the last 40min. I spritz w/ apple juice and cider vineger every 30min or so during the last couple of hours of the cook.
    When I am in Fl I get my ribs from Sam's and have done the same here. There is no comparison, JJ's are the best! :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PattyO
    Options
    JJs gets their pork from consigned farms and slaughters later so the hogs are bigger and fattier. Fat is flavor. I'm serious about a shopping spree at JJs. Shall we start a new topic? What do you think? It's about 300 miles for me, but I'll gladly do it if we can build it around some party and eggin' time. Have mini will travel.
    PattyO
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    JJ's is where I was introduced to Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Bone Suckin Sauce, 2 of my favorites!
  • PattyO
    Options
    I bought them both when I went a few weeks ago. I asked here on the forum what I should get. Now what else can I use Bad Byrons on besides pulled pork? It's a pretty big canister of rub. I didn't have enough time there. I want to go back before the weather turns.
    PattyO
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    I knew that they contracted with local producers, just never realized what a difference it made.
    Yes, I'm sure we can work out a get together, shopping spree, mini-fest, or whatever, this fall.
    Why don't you start a new thread and let's see what kind of response we get.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PattyO
    Options
    Do you live in the area? We need someone local to check out what hotel will let us light up the grills on their property. Then we can set a date and publish it. I'm in. I can always adjust my schedule.
    PattyO
  • PattyO
    Options
    Is there a BGE dealer in the Fairfield/Cinci vacinity? Interested if they'd like to join us. I'm really getting into this.
    PattyO
  • PattyO
    Options
    I answered my own question. Lots of egg dealers right there in Fairfield and West Chester and the Cinci area.
    http://biggreenegg.com/locator/results_list.php?zip=45011&showsurrounding=1&radius=25&imageField.x=31&imageField.y=9
    We need a local forum member to work with. I'll be glad to help from here.
    PattyO
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Capt. Frank, you know you can count on me! I look forward to meeting you and PattyO and other area eggers.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks Rebecca, I was sure you would jump in.

Patty, we live in North Bend, which is on the river just six miles from the Indiana line and about 18-20 miles from JJ's. We have a great dealer here on the west side of Cincy [Wardway Fuels}, but they are a good distance from JJ's
    There is a swimming pool/Egg dealer 1/4 mile from JJ's, but I have never been in the place, I don't know anything about them.
    My wife is having heart surgery on the 13th of this month so I will be out of the loop for a while, but I'm sure we can get this going.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL [sometimes Cincinnati]
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    I live in Columbus now, but grew up in Oxford. I remember when it was little more than a road side fruit and vegetable stand, and it is nothing short of remarkable now.

A friend of mine, Leigh Barnhart does cooking classes there.

My folks still live in Oxford so I try to stop by when I'm visiting. Thanks for the tip, never bought the ribs.

Cheers, Erik.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Ouch. All best wishes going her way. Let me know when you're ready to roll and we'll set it up. Maybe mid October? Gotta get this going before winter sets in so we can enjoy sitting outside with the eggs. This can be very exciting. I'll post something later today.
    PattyO
  • bitslammer
    Options
    PattyO wrote:
    Is that their Jungle Ribs? I always stock up on them. How did you fix yours? I love JJs, it's a yearly event for me. I was there two weeks ago, and ready to return.
    Maybe we should plan a group field trip. You know, with a meet n greet, JJs the next day and after party that nite. I like the Holiday Inn Express on Rt. 4, a mile down the road. Let's make a list.
    PattyO

Sounds great to me! I bring a cooler to Jungle Jim's each time I go if that tells you anything. ;)

Hopefully the heat wave will break and make for a nice meetup. If we want to do a park I'd be happy to at least throw the mini in the car. Heck I could probably put the MED on the rack on back of the Jeep.

If not that maybe a simple trip to JJ followed by dinner and/or drinks nearby. There are some great places up there on Rt. 4.
  • PattyO
    Options
    I'll post something later this afternoon.
    Do you want our cookout before or after JJs?
    We might want to go home with the perishables after the field trip.

Plan A... Meet n Greet dinner at a nice restaurant. JJs the next morning that takes 3-4 hours when I shop there. After party at hotel or local park with eggs.

Plan B... Meet n Greet cookout one evening, JJs next morning and head for home with the perishables.
    I bring lots of coolers.

One of our member's wives is having surgery next week so I'd like to plan this mid Oct so they can attend.
    Keep in mind Oct 9 is the DC Metro fest that I'll be at. It's my only obligation in Oct. I don't have a day job so I'm available weekdays as well as weekends.

We'll need someone local to scout out a hotel that allows eggs in their lot. I usually stay at Holiday Inn, Rt. 4. Good location.

Only question, how do we cool down the eggs to return home?

Yippee. I smell another trip to JJs this year.
    PattyO
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Patty, My wife [Mickie] should be up and running by mid-Oct. Her docs have told her she will be able to drive by then. We are planning a quick trip to FL sometime before Thanksgiving just to check on things since we had to cancel out on the mini-fest. We don't have any definite dates, we can go anytime.
    Chris [Bitslammer] lives close to us, I will get with him on some of these things. There is a really nice Park on the river very close to here but I don't know if Eggs would be allowed. Plus, it would be aother 20 miles for you and anyone from up north to drive.
    Both of your plans sound good. I think the out of town folks like yourself need to make the decision, us locals can go either way.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PattyO
    Options
    You pick the date, other than Oct. 9 (DC Metro fest) and I'll announce it. I certainly don't mind driving 20 miles to a park. But.... how do we cool down the eggs to get them back in the car? I don't have a trailer, just a mini seatbelted in next to me.
    Do you suggest a cookout the night before JJs, or after? Staying two nights at a hotel is not a concern for me. I hope some folks come to experience Jungle Jims for the first time. It will be like Disneyland.
    PattyO