Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Even temp for gilling direct

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I absolutely LOVE my Eggs. However, when grilling direct (such as burgers) I have a hard time getting the temp to be even around the grill, especially if I am trying to cook at a medium temp of say 400 dome. At that temp only a small portion of the lump is lit. If I've got burgers all over the grill they cook very unevenly and makes it harder to minimize flips.

Should I try lighting in more places? I usually light in 3-4 places when cooking direct. I have started using the raised grid so I can have more lump lit and still not have too hot a temp at the grill. Of course, I can always just cook at more nuclear temps but even then there are hotter and cooler spots. Anything else I should be doing?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i light with a weed burner, nice wide lit area. and use less lump, everyone sauys to fill the firebox but anything you can do to get the food further from the fire seems to help
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    For a more even fire, I use a chimney starter and then dump the lit coals evenly over the surface of a prepared bed of unlit charcoal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sounds like you're starting your cook before the lump has stabilized. Next time, try letting your fire spread to the other lump and settle into an even temperature. I usually let mine burn for 20 minutes to an hour before I even put anything on it.

You may still have some hot spots but that's normal. Just keep watching it and practicing until you know your Egg.

Spring "I Found The Warm Spot In The Pool" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    What Leroy said...I light my lump in 4 spots and let it spread for about 20 minutes or so on direct cooks. It usually produces a pretty even fire.
  • Deckhand
    Options
    Charcoal chimney... no one mentioned that when I asked the same question last week. Haven't used mine since I bought egg. Worth a try. Hmm if I light the chimney with the weedburner... Naaw... better not. :)
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Same here....since doing it this way, the direct cooks have been much more consistent.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    even temp=even fire. if your fire is not even across the lump bed, you wont have an even cook. You may want to start with less fuel so the whole thing could be lit without going nuclear.