Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ and Thermapen - Do I Need Both?

Options
tsheehan7
tsheehan7 Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to egging (getting my large demo egg on Oct. 16 at eggfest in Atlanta) and I'm already starting to fill my Christmas list with egg-related items.

My question is, if I spend the $200 on a temp controller from BBQ Guru, will that suffice for a good thermometer as well? Or does it make sense to own both?

I'm sure many of you started with a a Thermapen and then took the plunge to a DigiQ, but if you didn't own either, would you still buy both?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    These items are nice to haves...not necessarily needed. They serve 2 different purposes...the thermapen gives you quick reads on internal temps of your food. The digi q gives you the ability to cook foods over longer periods of time while maintaing a constant temp. and yes they are both nice items to have on your Christmas wish list.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    There's always a need for each and every AWESOME tool that one can afford to buy... Can't tell you how many duplicates of wrenches, calculators, spatulas, computers, etc. I have..And I use them all for different applications. Will you ever use the Digi-Q for a burger? Not likely, but the Thermapen is a great quick alternative. Just wouldn't want to leave the Thermapen in a Roast for several low slow hours.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    BigBadger wrote:
    Will you ever use the Digi-Q for a burger? Not likely, but the Thermapen is a great quick alternative. Just wouldn't want to leave the Thermapen in a Roast for several low slow hours.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. I know the Digi Q is not DESIGNED for faster-cooked items, but CAN it do the job and take the place of the Thermapen? Said another way, is the quality of the thermometer in the DigiQ comparable to the quality of the thermometer in the Thermapen?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    They both are quality thermometers but you don't want to plug in a digi q just to get a quick read temp and you don't leave the thermapen in a pork butt for hours....but in all honesty you can cook on a BGE without either one...but what fun would that be.... B)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I agree with what Kim said. IMHO though, the Thermapen is more useful more often. It is easier to build a fire properly and maintain temps overnight than it is to do the push test on a steak and get exactly the temperature you want.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• porker
    Options
    I wish I used a thermometer over the years. I had to cut and eat to determine donenes. I recently purchased a Thermocouple from Thermoworks. You attach probes to take different temps. They range from long cooking to instant read. The Smoke House is great for any long cooks. I run the cable up through the top vent. If you go with the Thermapen, it's currently on sale with free shipping.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    IMO, there is no reason for a DigiQ at all. Thermapen, most definately.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    IMO, there is no reason for a DigiQ at all. Thermapen, most definately.
    Do you think there's no reason for a DigiQ because the egg is so good at holding temperature without the help of a controller, or for some other reason?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I spent more money buying cheap thermometers than I finally spent on my Thermapen. Once the forum got it into my thick skull to cook to temperature my cooks improved dramatically.

To me a Thermapen is a must. We use the Thermapen in egg and none egg cooks.

The DigiQII (q2) is accurate and a very nice accessory. You don't need it but it sure is nice to have. If you get a q2 also get a Maverick ET-73 remote read thermometer with dual probes (pit & food) and has alarms.

Before you get a q2 carefully look at the Stoker. Same type device with more options. Both work fantastic.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    They certinly both tell temperature, but they are used for two different things. I have both , and if I had to give up one, it would be the DigiQ II.

While the Digi can tell the internal temp of a steak or burger it is unwise to use it at those temps. The probe wires can and do burn up at steak searing temps.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Yes that is why. :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    They are completely different tools for different purposes. One controls the temperature of your cooker while also constantly monitoring the temperature of your meat. The thermapen doesn't control anything and is an instant read thermometer that requires you to open the cooker and take readings. Even if you didn't want a temperature controller, you would still probably want a thermapen and a polder-type thermometer. One for instant read, one for constant monitoring with alarm.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bluedot
    Options
    Absolutely, get both. Each has its purpose. I have learned a valuable lesson here and that it cook to temp, not time. I use my Thermapen on almost all cooks, long or short. I haven't mastered the touch method yet therefore I depend on the Thermapen for direction. The DigiQ is great for low and slows