Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting the &%$#&! pizza off the peel??

Options
emmagee
emmagee Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried doing a pizza for the first time this evening, bought a stone, a peel and thought I was all set. I bought a pre-made pizza dough, spread it out, tossed it, put my ingredients on and thought I had the makings of a damn good pizza....until I tried to slide it off the peel, it simply wouldn't slide. Not sure if I didn't use enough corn meal on the peel or what; is putting corn meal on the peel the only thing make it slide off easier? Any other tips on this for a budding pizza maker?

Overall it didn't come out too bad, ended up sorta folding the pizza over and throwing a TON of corn meal on the peel and working around the pizza. It finally came off, but was a real mess.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Some use parchment paper under the pie and leave it through the cook. I've used cracker crumbs to get it to slide better.
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    I feel your pain....Build your pizza on a piece of parchment papaer on the peel. If you want, about half way through the cook, after the crust has started to cook, you can pull out the parchment paper...Or you can just leave it on the paper. Has no adverse effect on the crust.

Hope this helps.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    One more tip...aside from use more corn meal.

Pick up the edge of the pie closest the the handle an inch or so and blow under the pie to get some air under there and give it a little shake. This will loosen it enough so it can begin to slide.

Usually if your pie sticks to the peel you either took too long or put on too many toppings.

You can also use parchment paper, which works very well, or invest in some cheap pizza screens.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Wood Peel? Same thing happened to me the first time I built a pizza on a wood peel, even with corn meal. I will admit to not having oiled the peel though :blush:
    It was a mess! looked like a cazone gone really bad :laugh:
    I now make my pizza on parchment paper on the peel.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Just like everyone said buid your Pizza on the paper and trim the excess. It will keep the dough from sticking to the stone too.
    IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg
  • emmagee
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like parchment paper will make the whole process much easier. Next question, where does one find and buy parchment paper?

Thanks again!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Wally World has it in foil section.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Almost any grocer will have it with the foil and Saran wraps.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Emm....before you totally cave to the parchment idea..here are a few tips we use.

First, never roll or press the dough on the peel. Prepare the dough on counter or cutting board. You should be able to move the dough readily when completed.
    Then, slide onto corn meal and flour coated peel. (And really, as long as the dough is moving freely, it doesn't take much flour or corn meal) You should be able to wiggle/slide the dough on the peel, THEN begin to build.
    Add your sauce....jiggle...
    Add your cheeses....jiggle....
    Add your toppings (and not 3 pounds of em...) ...jiggle..
    Top with a bit more cheese....jiggle....

Now ready to be slid directly onto (WELL) preheated pizza stone with no problem.... ;)

AS always with the Egg, and cooking in general, there is never ONE correct way to do things. ;) (But I don't ever remember seeing parchment in a pizza joint!) :woohoo: :laugh: :whistle:
    Best of luck in your pizza endeavors!!! :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Michelle, I don't use corn meal or parchment paper, just build the pie on the stainless counter and put it on the peel just long enough to get it in the oven. Parchment does give the amateur plenty of time to build a pie and has no adverse effects on the finished product. -RP
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Pretty much, yellow corn meal works perfect for me.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Kim, those work fantastic, that's what I used in OKC and Waldorf. -RP
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Maybe that's what I do wrong Fidel, I take too long and I load on the toppings. I have not yet had a bad experience with pizza because I have always used the paper. I have heard so many horror stories of sticking to the counter to the peel and the worst sticking to the stone in the Egg. l would love to eliminate the paper but I'm scared. :laugh: I guess you could say I am paper trained. :laugh: I will have to try Michelle's method when I work up the courage. :laugh:
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    Parchment will do the trick and doesn't affect the cooking. I do agree with trimming it as the exposed edges will burn over about 500 degrees F.

Here's another solution that also works for very well hydrated bread doughs that are sticky and hard to move.

It really works!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used to do cornmeal and it worked fine, but then I tried parchment and it made everything a lot easier!

I like to build my pie a little in advance of when I need to put it on ( especially if I'm making multiple pies). The longer the pie sits, the less it wants to slide. When you build it on Parchment, it doesn't matter if it's been sitting awhile.

I don't make pizza a lot, though I go through spells where I'll make one a week. So I like to keep it simple. I suggest starting simple and then as you feel more comfortable you can experiment a bit more.

As noted previously, parchment is available at grocery stores near the foil, saran wrap, etc.

FWIW- I have used parchment on pies cooked in the 500-650 range. The exposed paper does blacken and/or burn away but I aven't seen any negative effects resulting on the pizza.
  • Unknown
    Options
    www.superpeel.com

It's the best pizza peel ever! It makes pizza fun and easy! I love IT!!! Best $32 I ever spent!
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Follow Little Chef's advice..

Use more cornmeal and don't press down once it's on the Peel (Little Chef's advice). And you be fine.

You don't need parchment or a pan. It negates most of the reasons you are using a pizza stone in the first place. You want the dry/direct contact with the ceramic.

I've been making Pizza in various ways for over 20 years. My family owned a wood-even pizzaria. I would get the "Italian Necktie" if I got caught using parchment or a pan. LOL
  • BostonEggSox
    BostonEggSox Posts: 116
    Options
    Enough cornmeal is important, but here's a little tip that works for me. Make sure that your dough overhangs the edge of the peel by about a half inch. As soon as it touches the hot stone it sorta attaches itself. From there it's easy to wiggle the rest of your creation off the peel without watching a landslide of ingredients head towards you fire.

You'll get the hang of it in no time!!
  • emmagee
    Options
    I'm gonna try the parchment paper, but I noticed a couple of folks mentioned oiling the peel, I didn't do this, my peel was dry when I put the corn meal on it. Should the peel first be rubbed down with olive oil?

Again, thanks for all the info!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i noticed you are in townshend. ever visit blood farm in west groton? thinking of heading over and buying a side of beef and a whole hog. wondering if they are as good as they sound.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Greg the Egg
    Options
    I ran a pizza joint up here in St. Paul Mn, years ago..
    Like others said, have the dough bottom well floured, and the peel as well, make sure its not gripping together. Keep the sauce on the dough off the edges by 1/2" back, make up your pizza, then...
    making the smallest, fastest "earthquake" shakes left and right with your hand holding the peel as you can, shake and it'll slide right off onto the pizza stone.
    Another words, don't make one huge jerk motion from the peel, onto the stone otherwise everything will fly off!
  • Large Marge
    Options
    LC is dead on! jiggle, jiggle, and jiggle again. I wipe flour on the peel but not much residue (you're shooting for an ice rink without any snow). To get the pie on the stone, jiggle once just to get the closest edge of the pie on the farthest part of the stone, then jiggle and pull the peel away at the same time to drop the rest of the pie on the stone. The movements are jerky and fast
  • Large Marge
    Options
    nice to see Giada back
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    this post is 16 months old ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it