Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why scald milk?

Patty'O
Patty'O Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to bake a bread on the egg, but it calls for scalded and cooled milk. Why? This is not the days of raw milk, so would using unscalded milk make any difference. I am not doing this at home, and would be a real pain to heat the milk on the egg, then cool to begin the dough. Also, can I scald it at home, then chill it and bring it to the party that way?
I bet someone on the forum knows the answer.
PattyO

Comments

• Here is the number 1 hit on Google for "Why scald milk?": http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2005/05/scalding_milk.html, FWIW. There were lots more, too. Good luck with the baking!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Patty,

I'm pretty sure it is a carryover from pre-pastuerization days.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks. I got a lot of mixed messages too when using google. I may pre-scald it. I'm baking a bunch of bread at an upcoming eggfest. One recipe asks for scalded, then cooled milk. I'll do a braided challah, a whole wheat, a beer bread, naan and pita and finish with an artisan loaf in the dutch oven. That should fill six hours. My dips and spreads are honey butter, assorted jams, hummus, an eggplant dip. I'm so excited. Now I get to practice baking and eating bread for a month. Somebody's got to do it. Anyone close to Beaver Falls, PA is welcome to join in the fun and critique.
    PattyO
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    "There is an enzyme in milk, protease, which inhibits gluten formation. Pasteurization doesn't reach temperatures sufficient to destroy it.
    "Protease is an enemy of yeast." If the protease isn't disabled, you can end up with a weak sticky dough which collapses like an over-proofed loaf.
    If you're baking a bread rich in dairy and sugar, scalding and skimming off the skin will result in a lighter, more tender bread.
    It's a small investment in time for better results.

hope this helps Patty. and as for sampling isn't Mark near you??
  • Are you up to experimenting and giving us a report? Because temps, humidity, product, etc can affect baked good so much, it would be better to do them simultaneously. What a big job that would be. I wonder if evaporated milk is an exceptable substitute.
  • Hey Renee
    Sure I'll send reports. Yes, I do plan to do the three loafs at the same time. Gotta check the temps first. Then the flats whatever fits on a stone at one time, and again and again. They're quick. Bread is tricky, and also forgiving. Planning the Dutch Oven bake at the end. Big hurrah if it works. I hope there's not a riot waiting for them to cool down before cutting. Do we really have to wait three hours??? Huh uh. Of course the naan and pita can be eaten right away. I've already asked the organizer to order warm weather so my bread rises. Now there's a variable in the formula.
    Where? DC Metro Fest. When? Oct. 9, 2010.
    PattyO
  • I won't make it to the fest, but will certainly enjoy your posts. Thanks.
  • yes--that's it. it's not just a holdover from pre-pasteurization days. if you don't have time to scald & cool milk, try using DMS (dry milk solids, aka powdered milk) and an appropriate amount of water. Should work as well as the scalded milk, plus dry milk is shelf-stable for a looooong time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I want the eggplant dip recipe if you will share.I am feeding tons of them to the cows cause I have so many I have ran outta things to do with them! :(
  • Eggplant Caviar

4 large eggplants
    1/2 C olive oil, plus more for pan
    4 medium tomatoes
    2 small onions, coarsely chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 C fresh parsley
    2 T mixed chopped herbs, such as chives, tarragon and cilantro
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    Serve with toasted pita chips, crackers or thinly sliced bread.

Preheat oven to 350’
    Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, and brush all over with 2 T olive oil. Toast, face down, in an oiled shallow pan until the eggplant halves are tender and collapse, about 45 minutes. Cool.

Peel tomatoes by dipping in boiling water for 30 secs and slipping off skins. Cut peeled tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Chop finely.

Scrape cooled eggplant flesh from the skin. Chop flesh finely on a large board. Add onion and chop until well minced. Add garlic and tomatoes. Chop until mixture is a fine consistency.

Mix in parsley, herbs and remaining 6 T olive oil and reserved juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to use.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Thank you! Will it freeze well or do you know? We are getting about 2-3 5 gallon buckets full every other day!!!What about canning it?? :huh: ?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This is also why a lot of recipes call for powdered milk.

(edit: I should have read Celeste's post before spouting off. Should have known she would address this)
  • I don't know. I'd roast the eggplant and freeze it. Probably drain some water when it defrosts. Not make the dip until I need it. It really is very good and people are surprised what they are eating. I might take some to Canada Nieggara fest, but I can't carry anything uncooked across the border. I'll have to roast the onions and garlic and blanch the tomato, parsley and herbs. I'll do that all on the egg to make it legit. Let us know how it works.
    PattyO
  • I have a King Arthur whole wheat bread recipe that calls for powdered milk, but since I can't find organic powdered milk I use fresh organic, and I scald it first. I think there was an observation on one of the comment sections of their website that mentioned that fresh milk could be used but had to be scalded first. It's necessary in order to deactivate the protease enzyme which will slow down yeast production and cause breakdown of the protein in flour, otherwise. Heat to just under boiling, where tiny bubbles form along the sides of the pan, and then cool.