Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A TALE OF PRIME RIB w/ lots of pics

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the tale begins with a phone call at 8:00 saturday morning from buddy brett (the virginian) across the street. . ."so max, i'm heading downtown (washington d.c.) to union meats to buy a brisket. wanna come?" . . ."sure" i says. . .so off to the old eastern market we go. . .as brett is talking brisket with the butcher, i'm perusing the case. .. i notice some nice looking rib roasts, some which are obviously choice and some which are obviously prime, and for laughs i ask the the butcher how much for prime (i'm expecting to hear $24.00 plus given how it looked). .. "bone in prime, i've got a special. . .$12.99 a pound" he says. . .well, after i picked myself up the floor, i had him wrap me up a nice 2 bone in prime rib roast to take home. .. [p]when i got it home and unwrapped it, i realized the nice job the butcher had done. .. .he had cut off the fat cap in a nice even slice, and then tied it back on to the roast. .. here is a picture of the roast after i untied it and laid open the fat. . .[p]DSCN0593.jpg[p]i then proceeded to lay on some sprigs of fresh rosemary from my herb garden, and salt and pepper. . .[p]DSCN0594.jpg[p]then i rolled the fat back on, tied it with butcher spring, rubbed it good with more kosher salt and herbs de provence . .. [p]DSCN0595.jpg[p]i set up the egg at 500 degrees, grid over inverted plate setter, with some jack daniels chips. . .as soon as i put the roast in the 500 degree egg, i shut the vents down to get to 325 degrees (the time spent going from 500 to 325 gives a nice sear to the roast). . .roasted it at 325 till it was 125 internal. . .
DSCN0596.jpg[p]as i said, i pulled it at 125 internal, let it rest under aluminum foil tent for about 15 minutes. .. [p]
DSCN0599.jpg[p]here it is, strings cut, fat cap removed, and bones removed, with first slice carved. . .came out perfect. . .[p]DSCN0600.jpg[p]and on the dinner plate. . .served with baby red potatoes, coated with olive oil, kosher salt, and lots of fresh rosemary, roasted at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes. . .and fresh string beans (also from eastern market) blanched for about 5 minutes, then sauted with some sliced up bacon and lightly salted). . .unbelievable meal. . [p]DSCN0601.jpg[p]i do a lot of 'prime' ribs, but its usually with choice or certified angus beef, and i have to say that using real PRIME meat was such a difference in flavor. . .it had a 'rich' flavor to it that was just fantastic. . . [p]me thinks more trips to union meats are in order. . ..

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Not fair Max, It's almost lunch time and you post that?

• egghead2004,
    sorry, wasn't thinkin .. .heeee. . . btw, there was one slice left over. . .i cut it up into tiny cubes, cut up the left over red taters, sauted a small onion, then added the cut up meat and taters, and had fantastic prime rib hash for lunch during the redskins game yesterday. . .[p]it was yummy. .. .

Is it me, or does it seem like there was some mighty good egging going on this past weekend?

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Now that does look good.[p] Is that the new Egg? Is it my imagination or does that gasket looked cooked off?

• egghead2004,
    i think you are correct. .. between my prime rib, kelly's cajun meatloaf. . .neighbor brett smoked his brisket (came out great btw). . ..and others, there was indeed some serious egging this weekend. . .i might have missed a post. ..what did you cook??

• Bobby-Q,
    nope, that's the old egg. ..gasket on that one is about 8 months old, still in reasonbly good shape. ..brett was smoking his brisket on the new egg. ..and btw, it performed like a champ, held rock steady at 225 degrees for a good 20 hours with not so much as a tweak on the vents. . ..

• egghead2004,
    whoops, i'm stupid. ..i just scrolled down and saw your rib post. .. that dinner plate looks righteous as well. .. .

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Sweet, glad to hear that. I know that new one did us all right with Spawn's meatloaf at the after party, as well as all the other stuff everyone threw on there.

Yup that's paper!...It was my turn to do the dishes.
    Again, my photo skills and presentation are not too great, it doesn't help with the wife yapping about how stupid it is to take pictures of food, she'll come around someday.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Very nice dewd. Meat. arrrrr! Meat.
    Grunt
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    mornin bro!! . ..yep, we were definitely good carnivores this weekend. . .as i like to say, "g-d didn't put me at the top of the food chain to eat carrots!!". . .heeeee

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]A thing of beauty that is. A thing of beauty.[p]A year ago our local HEB ran $10.99/lb specials on bone in Prime grade prime rib all the time - ah yes, those were the good ole days. Haven't seen meat that low in a long time - you sure did gobble up a good deal.[p]Nice pics.[p]TRex
  • TRex,
    the 'chain' stores around here that do sell 'prime' beef, charge upwards of $24.00 per pound. . .its great to have an old time market to go to, where they will still sell stuff at more reasonable prices. ..i think there may be fewer middle men, or they pay less rent at the old building. . .either way, i'll be back. . ..

Hey Max, listen to this story. Went to the store to get rib eye steaks for 8 people for dinner Saturday night. My lucky day. The butcher said they were having an unadvertised sale for 4.77 per pound. Safeway Ranchers select beef. Being from a butcher background, I was a little leary but bought 12-2" thick ones anyway. Did them t-rex method for all 8 people. Were probably the best I've ever done. Went to the store again Sunday morn and bought 12 more all 2" thick. Called everyone I knew that would be interested and they went and bought some also. The butcher loved me for all the sales. See-Yaa

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Max those pictures remind me of the times my wife (at that time just were dating in college) and we use to drive 1 1/2 hrs to a place called The Conesus Inn in upstate NY. They had the best prime rib I ever tasted. If only we could scatch and sniff the montior!![p]Howard
  • LoveHandles,
    i've gotten excellent deals at safeway on ranchers reserve and find it to be very tasty beef. . ..my safeway now regularly sells sirlions and rib eyes cut 2" thick, and with the safeway card, price is typically in the 5 - 7 dollar a pound range. ..very reasonable. ..