Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To inject/not inject a boston butt...

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I absolutely love the butts I do on my egg, but a few have told me that injecting a boston butt will make it turn out even better. Any of you inject your butts? If so any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    it's a matter of personal taste - I only injected one once and will never do it again. It developed a funky ham like taste that just wasn't good. I ended up throwing it out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I have never injected them. However, a lot of people have raved about FAB P on this forum and others. I ordered some yesterday and will try it.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Here is a quick injection recipe you could use. They can be done with great success and many competition teams regularly use that method to their benefit. I would suggest injection very close to putting the butt on the egg.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/competition.html
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Guinness? mmmmm never thought of that. If you do it let us know how it turns out. I'm curious about it now.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I think its just a matter of taste, when I judge at a competition I don't care for the obviously injected ones. The ones that taste more like an apple or pineapple than pork. If you are going to inject, do it with something that will enhance the pork flavor, not change it. -RP
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Boy, if you asked that guy to post a Pulled Pork recipe today it would look very different from that......I don't even bother injecting anymore, actually I look for enhanced butts as that is pretty much the same thing as what people are injecting in them anyway.....just saves a few steps.....Did you inject this past weekend?

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Crosses in your name is WAY outta line...you are far from a saint
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Options
    gee, such an eye for criticism of handles . let it go .. here we go again. its shot time!
  • Not tryna be picky, just precise. Those are actually daggers. In fact, the type symbol is traditonally used to denote someone in a list of names who is dead. Maybe your wish came true!

It's like the confusion over the X in X-mas. The X has been used as a christian symbol for Jesus for a couple thousand years, but folks today often think it means the exact opposite.

Symbols are often taken for the exact opposite of what they originally meant. The swastika USED to be a good luck symbol.

Crazy stuff
  • WessB
    Options
    Glad to see where you value your forum advice...you wont take me down with this...shot time is right..you just got yours..end of story..
  • WessB
    Options
    I stand corrected...but he only changed those fonts so his post could no longer be searched..once again wiping his history clean...I'm really amazed more people don't see through his false front..but yet attack me for calling him out...it will all be short lived no matter..Thanks for the clarification..
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I tried it a couple of times on butts and brisket and I was not overly impressed. I hate the process of doing it, I hate cleaning my injector, my fingers are too fat for the loops, overall it did not make me want to keep doing it. I always preferred the all natural approach. I don't foil either unless I have to hold the food for late ass guests or I am taking it somewhere.
  • triehle98
    Options
    No one else took it personal , just you . goodness it was just a handle change . wow so sensitive sorry i stepped on your string
  • WessB
    Options
    You have no idea how many took it personal..."I" as usual...was the only on that posted it..so feel free to continue forming your opinions against me..
  • triehle98
    Options
    I have my opinions about certain forum members "most" are of absolute admiration. some seem like champions of the hobby , some seem like the type that just cant let a new guy give an opinion. None the less , i enjoy the total experience and value ALLLLLLLLLLLL opinions and advice. Its all good hiccup... and no I dont know how many took it personal because No One Else said they did
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I used the Fab P a couple of days ago and thought it made the best pulled pork I've ever tasted. I let a bunch of my friends taste-test it and everyone thought it was as good as, if not better than many BBQ joints in town. Fab P mixed with apple juice and rubbed with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, then smoked over apple wood seems to work pretty darn good! I can't leave out the best part, the BGE ! :laugh:
  • You seem to be taking it personally that wess took it personally

your issue with wess is that he dogs tweev, which you drive home by dogging wess

zzzzzzzzzz
  • WessB
    Options
    And they need not since I did...just call me the sacraficial lamb...I do appreciate you telling me how much I degrade myself to newbies...but my advice to them is based on fact and personal experience...not my personality....and I'm not gonna argue with you either....go back into Tweeve's hacked VIP room..
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    This was a perfectly honest post by someone asking an perfectly honest question and now look where it's heading. hmmmmmmm Where did it begin?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    No question about that. One of our prime ministers gave a guy the finger in the house of commons years ago and mouthed f#^k you. When called on the carpet for his actions he said "What gentlemen is the nature of your thoughts when you say fuddle duudle or somethin like that"

Just sayin

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    Options
    It was the first opportune moment to metntion the fact...but your right..it could be hi jacking someones thread...but you just like triehle...arent about what I'm saying....you just want to call me out...you obviously know I dont take well to being called out...which is why you hang on Tweeves tails..and surface only when it's time to make Wess look bad...everyone of you are not adding anything positive to this forum...enjoy..
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Rolling Egg,

Man you seem like a perfectly reasonable guy most times. Why don't you go through the forum archives sometime before you pick your villains. Ya got this one way wrong my friend.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I saw some guys on Triple-D do that with their butts, though it was more of a cooking liquid and not an injection. Their final product did look good.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I did not inject this past weekend. I know things have changed over time and thought that might be a simple recipe for roanokesmoke to try. Hope you don't mind me linking to it.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I'm not trying to pick sides or anything. I'm just saying most times it's the replies or attention to the problem that makes it worse. Ignore ignore ignore! That has went for a few days before and everything dies down, but then some just cant help but fire it back up. Just my opinion dude. I'm here to cook not form sides. ;)
  • WessB
    Options
    NO...I think your an idiot...and I am totally ashamed to think that you have brain washed the admins to think you are in any way a productive member of this family....either way..applaud your self...you win....I'm done..you have more to offer the egg community than I ever will...and I guess shutting down their server proved who was more valuable...I hope you achieved whatever it was you set out to do when you initially decided to attack our once wonderful forum.....
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    PPP-Purely Personal Preference!!!Try one and see how you like it.There is no rite or wrong,it is what you and your eaters like. B) Life is a journey,enjoy the ride! ;)
  • WessB
    Options
    but you didn't ignore...?????
  • Little Steven
    Options
    All I'm saying man is that there is history here. After you have been to a few fests and meet some of these folks your perspective may change. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON