Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Meatloaf - A Pictoral Essay (56k warning)

BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try an old standard of mine, Cajun Meatloaf, on the egg last night. It was fantastic! Here is how it goes...[p]ml8.jpg[p]Here are your starting ingredients. Of course being a Cajun dish, you immediately spot the holy trinity of Cajun cooking; onion, celery and bell pepper.[p][p]ml9.jpg[p]Here the ingredients are ready to make the ragout. Everything is finely chopped because you want it to simply disappear in the ragout as it cooks down.[p][p]ml10.jpg[p]Cook all the veggies in butter until they're very soft.[p][p]ml11.jpg[p]They should look something like this before you add the remaining ragout ingredients.[p][p]ml12.jpg[p]Dump in the ketchup, Meat Magic, and evaporated milk and continue to cook over a medium heat.[p][p]ml13.jpg[p]The ragout will begin to stick at some point. That's it! It is finished![p]ml14.jpg[p]Put it in a bowl and let it cool in the fridge until you're ready to make the meatloaf. Do not use it hot! Let it cool down.[p][p]ml1.jpg[p]Mama didn't raise no fool! Let Mr. Kitchenaid mix the ground beef, ragout, and bread crumbs![p][p]ml2.jpg[p]Ready to be molded, and I barely broke a sweat![p][p]ml3.jpg[p]Ready to see Greenie![p][p]ml4.jpg[p]On the egg, indirect at 350. Note BBQ Guru has been brought into play here. It's time for me to relax and let someone else do the cookin'.[p][p]ml6.jpg[p]I lost track of time, but I believe it was about an hour and a half later that the 165 degree alarm went off. Seems about right for a 3-lb meatloaf.[p][p]ml7.jpg[p]Here it is, ready to hit the table![p]Ingredient List:[p]1 Medium onion
1 Medium bell pepper
2 Stalks celery
1/2 Stick unsalted butter
4 Tablespoons Meat Magic
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1 small can evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon L&P
1/2 Cup unseasoned bread crumbs
2.5 to 3.0 pounds lean ground beef.

Comments