Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

appetizer suggestions requested

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang.[p]For Mem Day weekend I will finally be able to host the first big BBQ event at the new place. I'm planning to serve BBQ chicken and brisket, slaw, baked beans, jalapeno cornbread and Bambi's bananas for desert. There might be a little alcohol as well. With this menu in mind, I'd like to solicit your creative ideas for one of more appetizers. Thanx in advance.[p]K~G
bottle.gif

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, with that cook menu you must have all the pans in motion..Wow..My main question, not a answer is "What time"?
    "a little alchohol" I can help with "Bud light" "Coor's" "Ham's" and for the elite, Irish Red and some top Pilzner Urguell Lager, as well as the ultimate in a frozen mug, Guiness Draught from the can. Some folks think I am a drunk..Never,..just one a day! Keeps the plumbing intact and the skeeters at bay..heeeeee.
    Have fun, sounds like a glorious event.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    KennyG,[p]Wings man, Wings. Use some of that Buffalo Wing sauce from Buffalo.[p]Tim
  • KennyG,
    Sorry I'm no help with a suggestion I'm a complete newbie here. But I have a question. How do you coordinate the chicken and the brisket. Do you reheat one of them? If so which one? And how do you do it without drying it out?
    Thanks

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    KennyG,[p]Get a loaf of that boboli crust (or any round loaf will work well cut in half). Put the bread in the egg (indirect pizza cooking setup) with butter on it to melt butter onto the loaf and warm it up. Meanwhile, mix equal portions of mayo (use the real stuff, not light) and shreaded parmesan cheese with a big spoonful of minced garlic (or use powder if you want). When the bread is warmed up, open the egg and smear the cheese/mayo/garlic mixture onto it and close the egg. Let it cook until the mayo and cheese turn a golden brown color. This can also be done in an oven under the broiler and works just as well, I adapted it to the egg myself actually.[p]Sounds like you have everything else under control. Have a great party.[p]Troy
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    This looks simple and sounds like it might be tasty.
    YB[p]Chicken Pupus[p] 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup dark rum
    1 tablespoon wasabi powder
    Juice of 1 orange
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black
    pepper
    1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless, cubed
    chicken thighs or breasts[p]
    Servings: 4 to 6[p] Whisk together all ingredients, except the chicken, in a mixing bowl. Place the
    chicken thighs in the marinade and marinate for 2 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
    After 2 hours, stir the marinade. Preheat the grill until the coals are gray to
    white. Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain or shake off the
    excess marinade. Place on a lightly oiled grill and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on
    each side. Continue grilling until the chicken is cooked in the center. Remove
    the "pupu chicken" to a serving plate and insert toothpicks in each of the cubes.
    Serve immediately as an appetizer.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    KennyG,
    All of the work on this recipe can be done the night before. The cooking is the easy part.
    I am still waiting on the Grains of Paradise. The spice vendor is still looking.[p]The Pickapepper Shrimp also makes a nice appitizer with little work.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Thai Chicken Satay[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, I think Cooks Wares..http://www.cookswares.com has your spice..ready and waiting.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Char-Woody,
    That is one cool website. They definitely have some neat stuff. The price on the ghee ($5.20 for 3.5 oz.) is absolutely outrageous considering it is one of the easiest Indian Ingredients to make.[p]However, I like the quest of finding things locally and purchasing from a local vendor. That way when I need something weird, they are likely to have it. KennyG and I almost split a shipment of Mesquite Charcoal. I was able to find it locally before we ever placed the order. The quest is half of the fun.[p]Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Thats my plan usually too..but I thought you were in a hurry..your right.. Prices are high. Websites are much like the local Quick Shops..ya pay for the convenience.
    Cheers, and luck to ya..
    C~W
    BTW..I am off to a new store in town to get some Char-Crust Garlic and Peppercorn..Seems they took my advice to stock it...heeeee...

• YB
    KennyG,
    You should be able to find one here.
    YB

[ul][li]Soar Appetizer Recipes[/ul]
  • KennyG
    Char-Woody,[p]You would be a most welcome guest at any time (even empty handed). Showing up with a few cold PBRs would be even better.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Larry,[p]Wow, is this ever a fascinating site. The decision as to which to cook will now be even more difficult. Fortunately, I have the rest of the week to decide. thanx!![p]K~G
  • KennyG
    Big Cat,[p]I'm going to cheat a little on this one and have several cookers going to make this happen. For the record however, after the brisket is done, it will hold nicely when tightly wrapped in foil for up to a couple of hours if necessary. This will provide plenty of time to smoke the chicken breasts I had planned which typically take 90 minutes or less.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Thanks to all who responded! Plenty of great recommendations and the decision would have been tough enough all by itself. Y'all have got to check out the appetizer site that Larry (YB) provided. This one has all the makings of a bookmark/favorite site.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Troy,[p]Looks like a winner and a must do for the weekend. Thank you! Now I need to decide on just one more from all the great suggestions. I might need some barley pops to help me through the decision process.[p]K

• KennyG
    Troy,[p]Looks like a winner and a must do for the weekend. Thank you! Now I need to decide on just one more from all the great suggestions. I might need some barley pops to help me through the decision process.[p]K

• YB
    KennyG,
    Glad you liked it,i know your party will be a blast with Great food.
    YB