Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

paella help

Options
johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ordered up Paella pan from amazon, and tried my hand at a rice, shrimp and bay scallop paella. Added some chipotle sausage too. Turned out ok, needed more spices i think.

I managed to find goya valencia rice also, though I wasn't sure how much rice to use. The directions on naked whiz did not cover ammounts just how much broth to add, not how much rice to have. Though I was several fingers into some scotch during the attempt I may have missed it.

my question is, how do you all do paella, and do i really need something to raise the pan off the grate? if so what do you use? I noticed that my pan turned brown/black before i put anything in. I'm thinking something on the pan burnt off while it was heating up. whatever its stained now.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I can't help directly. However until someone posts, if you will go to the search function there are some great past posts regarding paella, some with complete recipes. I have seen some wonderful posts regarding the cook.

Go to the search and click in the topic box, clear everything out and press return. That will take you to a more detailed search screen.

Search for 1 year, newest first. If you can't find what you want expand the search to time 'forever'.

GG
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Johann,

I have followed the Naked Whiz chicken recipe several times and all have been fantastic. It calls for 3 and a half cups of stock to 1 and half cups of rice. Here is the link to the recipe itself:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/pfchicken.htm

You should definitely raise the grid for a paella cook. I use fire bricks to raise up the grid with no problems.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    You need to get some elevation. I use a Woo2 rig (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com) to get the grate up to the level of the felt line. You can use fire bricks or the BGE extender.

I like the Whiz's recipe. Here's a recipe I've had good luck with too: http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2009/06/10/paella-2/

It uses 1 1/2 cups Bomba or Calasparra rice to 3 cups of broth.

559638842_3qgKJ-L.jpg
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one I like.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715388&catid=1

Scallops, Rice, Paella, Richard Fl.

I have been cooking this dish and variations for over 20 years, but this is the first time on the BGE. Will do more for sure. This was prompted by the BGE Aug '09 throwdown where the ingredients were scallops, pistachios, cumin and rice. Like to use chicken drumettes also.

INGREDIENTS:
    Step 1
    3 3 1/2 Ozs Pkg Spanish Chorizo, Sliced thin on diagonal
    1 Large Onion, Diced or Sliced thin then in half, your choice
    4-5 Ozs Pickled hot red peppers, diced medium, Peppadew style
    1 Tsp Cumin
    4 Ozs Pistachios
    1-2 Tbs Spanish Saffron
    Olive oil to sauté
    Step 2
    2 Cups Aborio/Valencia rice
    Step 3
    10 Ozs Can Clam Juice
    8 Ozs White Wine, Chardonnay
    22 Ozs Chicken Stock
    Step 4
    6-8 Ozs Frozen Green Peas
    6-8 Ozs Conch, Pounded to tenderize and then sliced into thin 2 inch pieces
    Step 5
    Red Bell Pepper, Top for center, Slices layed on top
    12-15 Pieces Fresh Asparagus
    Step 6
    12-15 Fresh Little Neck Clams
    12-15 Fresh Mussels, regular or New Zealand Green Lips
    12-15 Shrimp, 16-20 count, may be peeled or not
    8-10 Shrimp, 16-20 count, Heads on for presentation, use bamboo skewers to keep from curling.
    Equiptment:
    16 Inch Paella Pan

Procedure:
    Step 1
    1 Bring BGE up to 350°F and using a spider in high position, placed the paella pan on spider and poured in 2-3 ozs EVOO to sauté onion and chorizo. Little cherry wood chips for flavor.
    Step 2
    1 After the onions are translucent add the rice and get coated with oil and drippings from chorizo.
    Step 3
    1 Add liquid and saffron and bring to a boil.
    Step 4
    1 Add peas and conch.
    Step 5
    1 After 15 minutes cooking, add the asparagus and bell pepper.
    Step 6
    1 20-22 minutes of cooking add the seafood, turning the mussels and clams so when they open the hinge is at the bottom for presentation. When the seafood is done about 10-12 minutes and the liquid is gone, remove and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If the liquid is not gone and the shrimp are done, remove them.
    Step 7
    1 Enjoy, Served with some Sterling Chardonnay.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, Throwdown #2, 2009/08/27
  • johann
    Options
    Is the raising of the pan have to do with getting more radiant heat down from the dome?

Platesetter won't do? I will have to find some fire bricks i guess
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Not so much more heat from the dome as less heat on the bottom of the pan so the rice doesn't cook too fast. You could try plate setter plus BGE legs or a trivet.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • johann
    Options
    I ended up using a raised grill I forgot I had. Turned out well enough. Didn't get much of a soccarat but everyone was happy. It's tough to cook seafood in the rice at the end and time it so as not to over do the seafood. Oh well. 

Everyone was happy with it but me. I just need more practice!

I've noticed on the naked whiz site that in the pictures of the sofrito that there is a whole bulb of garlic, and that it looks to have the skin on. It's not mentioned in the recipe. Anyone use that for the sofrito? How's that work for flavor? The only time i've done whole garlic is to roast it as a spread for steaks. 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    This is my step by step guide!
    Hope it helps

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have done a lot of Paella, most on my previous Weber, once now on the Egg.    I do it directly on the grate, but keep the fire fairly small so it does not get too hot.  I now have raised grate capability, will go that route for the next cook.

I use Arborio rice, and find I need 3 cups of broth per cup of rice. For the broth I use a rich chicken culinary stock I buy at Wegmans (local grocer) or a homemade one, but rich broth is key IMHO.  As for the spice, I put red pepper and saffron in the broth, and it is just right.  I also use Chorizo in all my Paellas which adds a bit of heat.  You can always put hot sauce on after the cook.

Attached is my recipe, and one of my cooks (I always photograph my Paella!)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Dragonwmatches
    Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I won't be much help on paella in the Egg-haven't tried it yet. But I will tell you that in my opinion paella is better over flame than baked, so I'd try it with an open lid, direct heat. Some of the best part of paella is the burnt carmelization on the bottom, and it's harder to get that In an oven versus over flame. The best one I've made was improvised over a small, backyard fire pit. The great suggestion above is getting the saffron in the broth to disperse the flavor more easily. And you can keep it very simple on ingredients-onions, garlic, chicken, chorizo, try shrimp or other seafood, peas, piquillo peppers-no reason getting too complicated.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'