Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new Mini: is that normal ? lid movebale

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

got the new mini a few days ago, but the lid is horizontal moveable. Is that normal ?

Here pics:

lid in "normal" position:

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010032.jpg

and here the lid shifted with the lid hanlde to the left. w/o force. Just wiht my weak, left hand:

P1010034.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010033.jpg

All nuts and bolts are well tightend.

P1010038.jpg

Any idea ?

Is that correct ?

Comments

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Here is a modification I made that took care of my problem with the mini. I took a dremel and lengthened the adjustment slot by an extra 1/8":

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

I also ground down the screw in the daisywheel so that it does not chip the dome:

IMG_0331.jpg

Good luck,
    john
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea, kind of a dumb move on the cap screw for sure.
    Mine was same way. I just purchased shorter screw.
    My hinge does have some play left to right but fits very well front to back and also fits flush. As long as I drop in place center to dome there is no issue. Even if it's off center a little it still holds air tight.
    Still like better than my original bands.
    Nice mod on yours.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Normal? I hope not!

Return it and get one that doesn't require you having to complete a series of redesigns and fabrication work!
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Just depends how far you have to travel to return the mini. In my case 5 minutes of my time was much simpler than traveling 130 miles and making another trip when the replacement mini came in.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Yes, I have encountered the same loose design on my hinge as well. I have made some adjustments to make it work. Part of me is wishing I didnt toss my old double hinge system that it came with. But the other part of me likes how my mini opens wide now.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    So it's a design flaw? I am glad that you could fix yours, but it shouldn't be required. Not if I am paying money for the product.

If they were giving them away I could understand a little note attached stating that the "recipient of the this free gift will need to make simple modifications in order to get the unit working like it was originally intended...we can't figure it out so hopefully you can," but, as far I know, they aren't giving them away.

I hate paying money for a product (top dollar in this case) and having to "fix" it after the purchase. I went through this with my small egg and I still can't stand it.

That's it, I feel better now.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I agree. You shouldn't have to do that.