Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pickled Ghost peppers

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my Ghost pepper plant is starting to produce fruit....way to fast I might add :-) Anyone ever can habs or ghosts? Need so ideas on how to do this without buying some special pots or cookers.

Frank
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BoneDaddy's,

Don't know anything about canning but I'll buy a jar when you get them done.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Red Sox Fan
    Options
    I don't know what Ghost Peppers are but I make a canned Jalapeno Relish. It is easy and good on almost everything. This recipe is very tart and garlic tasting but you could adjust the garlic and vinegar I would imagine.

Ingredients:
    8 C. Jalapeño peppers (Cut into halves)
    1 Large Onion
    4 T. Finely Diced Garlic
    1 T. Salt
    2 C. White Vinegar
    1 t. Black Pepper
    1 t. Dried Basil

Boil Peppers & Vinegar for 3 minutes. Put in Food Processor with remaining ingredients and dice fine. Process in a Canning Bath for 15 min.

Makes 8 ea. ½ Pints.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Lots of good info about putting up peppers found on fiery-foods.com . I expect Hoss will chime in, or maybe bill. Procede with caution...
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    About 5 years ago I had 1 habanaro plant in my garden. I dehydrated the peppers and still have some left, they are HOT! Can't imagine what a ghost is like!
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    valrune wrote:
    About 5 years ago I had 1 habanaro plant in my garden. I dehydrated the peppers and still have some left, they are HOT! Can't imagine what a ghost is like!
    HOT HOT HOT HOT
    I want to try & grow some next summer & try & can some. Have a guy that needs a lesson he use to raid my peppers @ work before I retired. A hot lesson :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    No JOKE.Wear PROTECTIVE gloves,eyewear and a respirator is not a bad idea.ONLY prep them OUTSIDE!!! A pot on a fishcooker will suffice. B) Those things are NOTHING to play with.I would try Vialdia1's jalepeno recipe,just sub the ghost peppers,or a traditional pepper relish.BE CAREFUL!If you go the relish route use sparingly along with other peppers. ;)
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Thanks Red Sox Fan...what is a canning bath?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Somebody (jeffinsgf I believe)recently put up a video on a canning/refrigeration method.

If you pickle without refrigeration you will need to waterbath the jar I believe...essentially putting it in boiling water.....

here is the post

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=938492&catid=1#