Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Son caught one. Now what?

Daddyo
Daddyo Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
33%3B%3C%3A68323232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E76%3B%3E%3A86%3EWSNRCG%3D32327692%3C9584nu0mrj
<p />Okay, so I'm not exactly the world's most experienced fisherman. [p]Anyone know how to clean a striper? I'll check for recipes on cooking it after I figure out how to clean it and prepare the meat. He got it 7:00 a.m. today and I've got it on ice. Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Daddyo,[p]That looks like Wells/York Maine area......am I right???[p]As for cleaning.......just cut the head off.....make a slit done the gut and pull everything out.....rinse out with water and your done. [p]I usually fillet mine and grill on a bed of lemons. You could also leave whole and stuff with lemons and herbs, season with salt and pepper, rub with olive oil and roast whole in the Egg at 350 for 20 or so minutes ( not sure hear as I have usually just check every so often for doneness). Use a fish basket, oil abd clean the grill reallly good or slice up a couple of lemons and lay the fish on them. Paul[p]
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    midnight smoker,
    Thanks. I'll be cutting it up in a few minutes.[p]Fish was caught in Ocean City, NJ.

• Daddyo,
    I would filet it since it is so big. There are bones runing from the top of the fish to the bottom in a line thru the middle of the fish(as it is swiminng) Just take a very sharp knife and go down either side of the dorsel fin(on top) and around the rig cage. You can always ask a local seafood shop to do it for you for a few bucks. than i cook it on a pan uncovered on the egg with onions and spices for about 350 for about 30-45 min(until it starts to flake) if you were close to chesapeake beach, i would show you more.

• Daddyo,
    i cook mine with lemon and butter,alittle tsunami spin at 350 for about 30 min.he's hooked now,nice fish
    jerry

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Daddyo,[p]The cleaning instructions provided were dead on. First know the fish will cook fast and is best served using indirect heat. I usually marinade mine for about 20 minutes in shallots, Italian dressing, melted butter, and fresh lemon. Wrap filets loosely in foil and grill roughly 10 minutes. The juice left in the foil make a great sauce.[p]I also find the skin is best left on. Just remember to scale the fish.[p]Being from the Annapolis area that’s a beauty. Looks like the one that got away several times…[p]