Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boy howdy is my butt frozen - Pork, that is.....

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I have two 7-8 pound boston butts sitting in my freezer, still in the cryovac pack from Sams Club. I am wondering if I can put them on the egg FROZEN - or partially frozen, anyway.[p]I was planning to soak the pack in cold water for 20 minutes or so - long enough to break them free of the plastic, so I can wash them down and add rub. I don't expect them to be fully thawed by any stretch before I place them in the egg. This is kinda a last minute thing for tonight - I don't want to take any longer getting them on the egg than I have to.[p]Will this work? Besides obviously adding to the overall cooking time? I know butts are generally hard to kill.....but I've never tried this before, and I can always wait til next weekend I guess.[p]Any suggestions or ideas ?[p]Thanks![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I'd say no, but that is just my gut feel. I've never tried it. AB says the fastest way to thaw them is in a bucket of cold water under the tap, with a slow stream of water pouring into the bucket to change the water. But I'd guess it would still be 4-5 hours? I'm just afraid that by time the center was done, the outside would be toast.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Based on my own experience with trying to cook pork butt and beef chuck and brisket in various stages of being almost thawed, I'd say wait until the meat is thoroughly thawed or even approaching cool room temp, before putting it in the Egg.[p]Thinner items like ribs might be OK going on frozen (I've read about this but never tried the technique), but based on personal experience, a semi-frozen butt will be toast on the outside by the time it's done on the inside. You will get some edible meat, but it won't be an optimum yield by any means. Better to wait and thaw, if you can.[p]Bob

• Charcoal Mike,
    There's a good chance for food poisoning, especially at low and slow time and temps. That's also why TNW's way of thawing (under cold running water) is the way to go, rather than the wait on the counter approach. I feel your pain. Every time I open the freezer there is this rack of ribs calling my name...
    So what is this way of cooking frozen ribs???[p]

• Charcoal Mike,[p]In my opinion, it is not wise to try to cook any cut of meat that is still or partially frozen in your Egg. In the first place, it isn't going to cook right and it is also very unsafe. I will include a website from the USDA that might help you with this problem. [p]Dave

[ul][li]BBQ Safety Facts[/ul]