Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

followup to bill's post on new holland

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
since it already made it down to the bottom of page two, i just wanted to comment on smallercasebill's post about the new holland comp, and respond to a couple of the responses .. .

first, it wasn't "max's" brisket that finished in second place. . .bill gives me too much credit there. . while each of us takes primary responsibility for a turn-in, we have a pretty good group effort going these days, and we (the virginian, mr. earl, bill and myself) work pretty smoothly as a team, soliciting and taking advice from each other. .. and while i'm snoozing the night away, the good mr. earl is tending the cookers all night long, and waking us up if sees an issue or problem with the pork butts or brisket.. .and we are all willing to listen to each other if we notice something that might make a difference in the final turn - in. . . in the case of the brisket, we had two cooking, and when we sliced into the one point, we saw that the chunks had a beautiful smoke ring to them so we changed the way we normally box them up so that they would stand out and help our scores. ..truly a group effort if there ever was one .. . in a comp like this, it is the small things that really count .. .

to answer the question about cookers. .. .we use a combination of BGEs and BBQguru tall boy caldera. . . the briskets were cooked in both, and in fact the winning brisket started in the caldera, but the point was finished up in the BGE...so again a winning combination...

and even though sydney couldn't join us for this one (she had to head back to school), she played a key role in our 7th place 'chefs choice' finish. ...we didn't make her famous brownies, but she now makes a killer flourless choco cake that is to die for, and she made up the batter for me on thursday night before i left, and on friday, i baked it on the BGE with her detailed instructions, and boxed it to her specifications.... so she had a direct role in our 'call' in abstentia. .. .i probably texted her 2 or 3 times while i was working on it to get confirmation that i was doing it right, so she was still part of the group effort. .. .

and sometimes just pure dumb luck works at these contests . ... i swear, 2 weeks ago, mr. earl made this chicken on the BGE and we took a big 3rd place at bel air md....this weekend, his chicken came out of the egg and it was IDENTICAL in every way, taste, tenderness and our box looked the same. ...there was no difference whatsoever. . .yet we took a 35th place with it... all i can figure is we got the french figure skating judges this time around. . .you just can't figure out the judges sometimes, it will drive you crazy.. ..

anyway, it was a great weekend, and we had a really good time surrounded by good friends (dizzy boys and bbq guru boys) ...its our favorite contest of the year....

Comments