Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gator Bites Update

Jupiter Jim
Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I spent 6 hours today cleaning the good meat from the not so good meat, Now have about 50# of the good meat for the sausage and here is the first grind.
IMG_0431-1.jpg
IMG_0432-2.jpg
KayNOcook is a TREMENDOUS HELP and could not do it without her.
Should finish up tomorrow.
Also had a few questions yesterday about the gator skins/hides and yes we do have them tanned into usable lather and I have two for sale if anyone is interested e-mail me off line.
Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Jim sent your previous post to my friends......we want to come & help hunt some of those devils......what do you suggest?
  • Boy oh Boy, I knew that Kay was the one doing all the work and you sit back having a cool one. Oh yea you did something you took a picture, I hope you did not hurt your finger. :whistle:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    That is so cool I want some !!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE

Love it Jim
    thanks for sharing.
  • Jupiter Jim
    My finger will never be the same!!
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Jim...Did you happen to see my message from last night about making some gator ceviche for you at mini fest?? :huh:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Beli, I will talk with Brian this week and get back to you.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    LC,
    Yes I did, I have it in the frig. Should I leave it whole or slice it before I freez?
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Little Chef
    Jim: Awesome!! :) You're in for a treat from gator you wouldn't expect. ;) Just freeze it whole. I will slice it at the fest while still semi frozen. It will be perfect! I am so excited!! :woohoo: Thanks for saving some! I think you will really enjoy it! Do you arrive Thursday? Ideally I would start in the citrus on Thursday and allow to 'cook' 24 hours. Perfect for a Saturday lunch. :) I can make it happen faster if needed. When are you due to arrive?
  • Little Chef
    WOW that's a lot of work! :blink: Done my share of sausages with BOUGHT pork. Can't even imagine taking it to this level! Nice team work! :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    OK I see this is another his and her cooking team that the "her" is the backbone LOL Just like Kim and Ginny we found out that for all Kim's posting LOL it was GINNY!! doing the work! Ha ha hugs Jim and can't to try that sausage no matter who did it!
  • Jupiter Jim
    We will arive Thursday.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Hi Julie,
    Yes Kay does all the hard work, I just catch them, drag them out of the water, this year I fell out of the boat with a gator on the line, then I skin them and cut the meat off the bone. Kay even made me turn the grinder on and off. Can you believe that after I went swimming with the gator he got away after an hour on the line? We still have about 40# to grind. :woohoo:
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Sorry but my feet would have been moving so fast I would have been walking on water! Wish I was closer I would help grind. you guys make a great team :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Say what??? Ginny does all the work? I don't think so. I might not catch gators but I go to the cattle ranch, rope the cows, take it to the slaughter house, slaughter it, cut it up, pack it and bring it home...all she does is cook it....umm well ok that may be a stretch but I have seen cows before...and yes Ginny does most of the work.... :woohoo: ;)B) :laugh: :lol: :silly: :whistle: :cheer: