Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket ? Please...

sirlancealotsirlancealot Posts: 432
edited 1:12PM in EggHead Forum
I just put my first brisket on 8lb"r, the question is, i had the egg stabalized at 250deg, put brisket on and the dome temp dropped to 220deg. do i adjust or will it come back up on it"s own? And how long should it take? so i"ll know wether to adjust or not?

Also i stuck the digital probe in the thickest part of the meat from the side i hope everything works out ok. I would really hate to mess this meat up. any pointers would be appreciated and do you think it should take about 12hrs? Do i pull at 190deg? How do i know when to pull? thanks for your responses..
·

Comments

• ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    It will some back up to temp. Don't adjust anything. Your brisket could take anywhere between 8-16+ hours. you'll have to use the toothpick test or twisting the fork test to see if it's done.
    ·
  • thanks 4 the response, I"ll give it about 1hr. then adjust i guess.
    ·
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    You shouldn't have to. Brisket is a hard cook and I am nowhere close to perfecting it but I can say that you shouldn't have to adjust your temp. If you had your egg stabilized, and I mean really stabilized, you should be good. Brisket is not "done" at a certain temp like a pork butt. The only way I know how to make sure the brisket is done is the toothpick or fork test. Good luck! Hopefully some better qualified and experienced people can help you further.

BTW- if it does come out dry you could chunk it and use it for chili!
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,315
    My last 15 pound brisket took about 16 hours which was faster than I expected. Each brisket is different. Use the fork test to decide when it is done.

There is a lot of great info here:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You have some good advice above. For now don't play with your vents.

If you have a whole brisket that is a flat and point it sounds like you are reading the temperature in the point. The thinner part, the flat, will be done before the point and the point will need a little more cook time.

Your 'fork tender' or 'tooth pick' tender will be somewhere between 190° and 200° DON'T cook to time. Cook to temperature and when it is tender.

Seems like you are heading for a late night or early morning finish on this one.

This is a fun cook and it is fairly easy to get a good tasting brisket.

However, for me to get a brisket the way I want it is a real challenge. I have only seen a handful of forum members post pictures of what I would consider a great brisket.

With that said, I will take my 'pretty good' brisket over any of the local so called fantastic bbq houses that I have visited.

GG
    ·
  • Thanks Grandpa grub, I"m in for the long haul. I put it on at 7:20pm est. so i guess at least 12hrs. minimum. Yes i do have the probe stuck in the point all the way in from the side. Thanks 4 the advice..
    ·