Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Felt Gasket

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you know when you need to replace the gasket on the egg. I am getting a little smoke out of one side of the egg where the felt gasket is. I set a hot plate setter on it yesterday and I think I melted some of the felt. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference. How much smoke can you stand escaping from the dome? Unless it is causing you troubles in maintaining low temps, or you are disappointend in how long it takes to cool off after a cook, you can cook like that forever. It will cause no damage to the EGG.
  • Bubba's dad
    Options
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    mine leaks a little.. wonder why? :laugh:

DSC_0978.jpg :woohoo:

I don't worry about a gasket... it's way overrated :whistle:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Agreed....you can go forever without any gasket at all.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    People keep sayin' that. Personally, I like the cushioning effect I get with a gasket in place. I have been known to drop the dome when a (so far) minor flashback occurs. With a gasket, it seems to me I am less likely to crack something.

Plus, with my mini at least, without a gasket, there seems to be no way to get the two halves to come together except at the front edge. Hope the new band/hinge that's on it's way will cure that - but I will still use a gasket, if I ever find a Rutland to fit.

As for the large, I have had the Rutland in place since I fried the felt gasket about 2-3 weeks after I bought it. NO idea how people get theirs to last for years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Putting a hot plate setter on the gasket will burn it some, but it won't take long before the rest of the gasket matches that burnt spot.

Here is my gasket.
    chicken1.jpg

Yes it leaks smoke here and there and is real thin. I am not going to change it until next year or longer. As long as I don't hear ceramic to ceramic when I close the dome I probably wont replace it. When I do replace I am going with felt again.

I would also watch for long cool down times, if it takes a long time to choke out the lump or if the lump seems to get consumed after a cook then it is time to replace the gasket and or look for other large leaks.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd agree with the cushion effect...I make it a habit to close my dome gently now. As long as I can keep from dropping it, I'll be good.
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    I say it's like not changing the oil in your car, just personal preference.
    Maintain it like you own it.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Bubba's dad wrote:
    How do you know when you need to replace the gasket on the egg.

Probably when it bothers you. I like to have a gasket, and its not hard to change, so I go through the exercise. I like to conserve lump, so a good gasket takes care of that for me. Others dont care, and that is fine too. It will cook the same either way, it might not shut down the same however.