Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update Dr Chicken's Prime Rib & Ginger Mahogany Ribs Question

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A big thanks to Dr. Chicken & Sprinter for their input on the prime rib. I used the recipe submitted by the good Doc. I ended up cooking it a little longer than recommended (I thought it was too pink for our tastes - prefer medium) and over cooked it somewhat. Despite the slight over cook it was certainly as good as any we have had in restaurants. I had a real happy wife last night![p]Next weekend we are planning our first entertainment venture on da Egg. We are thinking about doing Nature Boy's Ginger Mahogany Ribs - read plenty o' praise for that recipe. If I add up the times mentioned on the recipe, I get a total of 9 hours. Is this the total elapsed cooking time or am I misinterpreting the times? As always any help is greatly appreciated.[p]p.s. - Dr. Chicken I am new the forum only in posting - I've been a forum voyeur since I bought our Egg in the Fall last year.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Congrats on the Prime Rib, even though it was a bit overdone. I started getting nervous on mine a bit when I opened up the egg and the outside of the meat was charred black and burning in places. The meat on the inside of that salt crust was just as tender and pink as could be. It's a great recipe and a great piece of meat to cook on the egg.[p]I'll let NB help with the ribs as he's the master on those. Have yet to try them, seems I haven't been able to get away from cooking swimming stuff for the past month. Ahhhhhh, but it's all good.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jethro,
    This is what the recipe says:[p]"• Cooked ribs at 300. A drip pan full of water sat on a single firbrick. 2 firebricks on their sides supported my second grate over the drip pan. Cooked for 4 hours bone down, rotating after 2 hours, and flipping after 3 hours."[p]What I mean is that I cooked the spare ribs for 4 hours total time. After 2 hours I rotated the ribs (since the ends closest to the edge of the drip pan seem to cook a bit faster). After 3 hours I flipped. It isn't too critical when you flip, or rotate, but the less you open the egg, the better! [p]If you are brushing the sauce on over direct coals, brush for the last half hour. If you put the sauce on while continuing indirect, then you can start an hour before they are done.[p]Let me know if you have any more questions. Hope you enjoy.[p]NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks much!! We are really looking forward to trying your recipe this weekend.[p]Jethro