Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gator Bites

Jupiter Jim
Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well the 2010 Gator Hunt is over and I will have fresh Gator for the Mini Fest.
Took a little buddy of mine and his dad hunting last night and JR got his first ever Gator, 6' 4" and I got a 10' 4" my personal best. The big gator was a group effort and took about an hour and a half to get him in.
Now to keep it on topic tomorrow KayNOcook and I will be grinding the meat into Italian, Breakfast Sausage and some small pieces for the grill.

IMG_0414-2.jpg
IMG_0428-2.jpg
IMG_0421-2.jpg
Thanks for looking,
Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Really looking forward to some of that Jim. Nice snag on the big one, airboat?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That's awesome. I've put in for a gator tag for a few years in Georgia but never seem to be lucky enough to get drawn.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Jim:

Good hunting...looking forward to sausage in a couple weeks!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ah, I've been waiting for this post!! Great hunting!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    No airboat, hook and line 150# braid. Before it was all over we had two lines and one harpoon in him before the old bang stick and Mr. 44 mag gave hime a kiss. A real nice catch. I'm very proud of JR he is 14 and did a great job catching his.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    If you want to come to FL I can get you connected with my guide he still has 4 tags to fill and he is very reasonable to hire. Probably only charge you the cost of the tag and for cleaning the Gator.
    He’s my nephew.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Hi Jay,
    It will not be Hot Sausage.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    And if you plan it right you can hit the mini fest :woohoo:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Molly,
    Glad ya enjoyed the pictures, I will post some of the sausage making tomorrow.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Gosh Jim.....what a piece.....your little buddy looks happy.... :ohmy: :laugh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    How long is the season down there? My September and October are pretty full right now, but November is pretty open.

If it doesn't work out I will do it next year for sure. That's one of the beasts on my hunting bucket list. I was planning to go for pronghorn next year, but if I have a good shot at a gator tag I'd jump all over it.

I have a hunting buddy that would likely join me, so we could fill 2 tags if he'd let us.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Congrats on the hunt JJ, I'm going to sleep a whole lot better knowing there are two fewer gators out there. :lol:

I may have to try gator again. I have had it once and it didn't impress me any more then frogs legs which convinced me that chicken was a lot easier and cheaper.

Blair

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Jim - Nice hunt!! B) Have you ever tried gator ceviche?? Totally amazing!! I will make some for you if you would like at mini fest. Just save (and wording this carefully...lol) a piece of the tail and freeze, don't grind. Just making the offer, and looking forward to some of your wonderful gator products at the fest!! :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Well done!! That is a nice pair of boots you bagged!! :laugh: You said this was your personal best. How many have you bagged in the past? Also wondered do gators get tough as they get biger?
  • Awesome catch there Jim, looking forward for some sasauge. That is great for JR, his first, he will remember that the rest of his life. Just the begining for him.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Really great pics and story - thanks for sharing! Do you have "alligator crossing" signs down there? We were just talking about "moose crossing" signs up here yesterday! :laugh:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Hi Beli,
    J R was very happy and he got both skulls to make into a skull mount. We take the heads and bury them in the ground for about 4 to 5 months dig them up, rinse with water, soak in bleach and then let them dry in the sun for a few days. He helped us clean them as well and did a great job with that too. The only parts of the gator we don't use are the bones, the hides get tanned into leather, and we eat the meat.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Blair,
    You should sleep better; last weekend my nephew (Brian) cleaned 20 gators and yesterday another 10. The biggest this year 10' 8' and Brian helped his boss get that one.
    Brian is a part time Guide and then cleans gators for other hunters, every year I spend a day helping him clean them as well.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    LC you made a funny!
    I know what part of the tail is for eating. :laugh:
    I will keep a nice piece of the tail and YES let's do that at the FEST.
    Thanks, Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Wow Jim!! very nice!! We can not wait for samples :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Hi JL,
    I have taken 6 Gators, but have helped my nephew for the last 6 years and we have taken dozens over the years. My last personal best was 10' 0" and that one I got on Lake Okeechobee in an air boat and 45 minutes later Brian got a 12' monster, made mine look like 6' gator. I was very happy for him but a little bummed about mine.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    I will check with Brian and get back to you.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

It's amazing how the gators have come back from the low numbers like some of the birds have. Most of the other reptiles and amphibians are in short supply around here if you don't count the Brown Anole's, they are every where. Tree frog populations are way down, even the Cuban Tree frogs are pretty scarce. After a heavy rain I hear a Fowler's Toad, a few Eastern Narrowmouthed Toads and maybe a Greenhouse Frog but thats about it. I can only wonder if our efficiency at controlling the Mosquitoes has something to do with it, we don't see the great numbers of them either.

Blair

• Jupiter Jim
    Hi Mike,
    Yes he will, funny thing is we did not get him an agents licensee because he is 14 and we thought that you had to be 16 before you need a licensee. So when the fish and Game officer stopped and asked how we were doing J R with all the excitement of a happy and proud young hunter said GREAT I got my first Gator!! the officers reply was where is your paper work?, OOPS so on his first hunt he go at warning ticket. No big deal just a warning but we did tease him about being a criminal.
    I also fell out of the john boat with a Gator on the hook, I think I got back in faster then I fell out, what a great hunt.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Julia,
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures, no we don't but should have some signs on the way out hunting Friday night I saw a dead one on the road it was only about 3' long.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Hi Julie,
    Yes we will have plenty for all, I will end up with 75-100 # of meat. Kay and I are looking forward to seeing you and Neil at the Mini Fest. :) Where is the counter? :ohmy:
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Pretty cool JJ. Could make a bunch of gator sauce picaunt with that bruiser.

Do you do anything with the skin?
  • LC - I've been wanting to make ceviche for a while, but am a bit timid. Can you post a recipe for how you prepare it please (not necessarily for gator, more traditional)?

Thanks!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Jim,

Great Pics! Congrats!!!

I applied for the first season Florida opened the gator population back up to hunting (what was that, 1991?), but never got a tag (lived in Tampa at the time).

So, my question, is what will you do with the hide? I am assuming the processor will sell it for you, but interested if you are going to cure or do somethign with it yourself.

Great Pics!!!!

Dave in Keller, Texas