Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie's First Smoke

Options
Grub Blogger
Grub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After following the sage advise from the Forum, I stirred up my remaining charcoal and made sure the air vents were clear to prevent flare up. Ended up blowing way past the 220 I was looking for, and had to basically shut down for a while to get back down there.

After waiting awhile, I got impatient and afraid I would kill the fire completely, so I opened her up and put in the plate setter and the grate. By the time I was set, I was down around the desired temp, so I put about 3 pounds of spare ribs on and closed her up. I read a bunch about severing off the brisket and riblets, but I have never had problems on the Weber, so I let them fly as the butcher gave them to me.

About an hour into cooking, I remembered that I had some boudain from Beaumont that I picked up on the way back to Dallas from Houston. I threw them on quickly, just right out the package. About 3 hours later, they came off. Really amazing flavor from the hickory, moist on the inside with a real snap to the exterior.

photo.jpg
(Pictures from iPhone - I left my camera in Houston - HA!)

After five hours or so averaging 225, but hovering as far north as 245 and South as 200 (from dealing with the sausage and checking after 4 hours), I ended up with the moistest ribs I have ever cooked. The Egg is a game changer. Forgot to mention that after I took them off the heat, I wrapped in aluminum foil and threw in a cooler for an hour. Ate with steamed asparsgii and fresh tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic and basil from the patio.

photo%20%281%29.jpg

photo%20%282%29.jpg

photo%20%283%29.jpg

Comments

• BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    those ribs look real nice! What rub/sauce did you use?
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Used the general spice rub recipe from Cook's Illustrated's BBQ cook book. Has paprika, chili powder (I used ground ancho and New Mexico chili powder I got at the market because I ran out of the homemade stuff I like to have in the pantry), oregano, white pepper, black pepper, white and brown sugar, salt, and a touch of cayenne. Maybe one more I can't remember, but that would be sufficient. No sauce. These bad boys don't need any.