Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need a simple cheap security camera system

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Today I had an idea that I really need to see exactly how the coons are still getting on my deck and pooping. I checked into a "trail camera" approach but find those on the cheap side won't probably work so I need to go to the more pricey $600 variety so that's out! Then I thought about a cheap outdoor security camera. Does anybody have any recommendations? I assume I need one that will broadcast to my computer and store the images there since I don't want to catch them in the act - just find out after the fact how they got up there! Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Why wouldn't a $150 or so IR trail cam work? I have several of them (CuddeBack work the best) and get some awesome photos. Some are still photo only and others do 10-15 seconds of video.

I know coons, possums, and squirrels can trigger them. Why wouldn't that work in your situation? You could put in in one spot where you think they may be climbing, and if that isn't it then move it the next night until you catch them in action.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Why not just sit up and watch for 'em. Put a butt on or something to keep you occupied.

Use your Flip video camera to show us just how much fun you're having.

Security camera's aren't my thing (yet). Sorry I can't help you there. Might try eBay.

Spring "I've Got Armadillos To Keep Me Busy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    You can always go look at a hunting supply..Bass Pro..
    and they have cameras for 60 bucks that take pictures based on motion.
  • I use the cheap trail camera from Bass Pro and it works good enough. I cought my neighbor using my egg when I was out of town.
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    We have several of the cuddeback deer cam's on our property for watching the wild life. they work great. Presley's in Bartonville carry them. We also catch the neighbor dogs chasing the turkey's Good luck catching the critters
    Margie
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks Margie - have we met? Are you the new egger who teaches at SEAPCO?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    you might try x10.com for outside cameras,security,etc.
    jon
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    put some fake cameras out there on the porch.... those coons are very aware.... they don't like security cameras....( i still say you go with .22 problem solver)....lol