Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My pork butt plateud at 163!!!

CAEggFanCAEggFan Posts: 31
edited 7:43AM in EggHead Forum
My first butt and 6hr into this thing (4lb butt) and i just put Maverick in to check temp and I'll be damn if it didn't read 163! You guys are right on. I'll be curious how long it'll take to get beyond.

I'm pulling off grill at 195 deg for pulled pork.

Any tips on what to do when I pull it? Should I foil it for 30mins before chopping it up?

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,679
    I pull at 195°, put it on a sheet pan and cover with foil (I don't wrap it, just cover) and a dish towel or two. Leave it for about 30 mins. Then pull with a couple of meat forks and sprinkle on some vinegar sauce. If I feel messy, I'll grab a cleaver or two and chop it up.

Serve on a hamburger bun with cole slaw. Awesome!!

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CAEggFanCAEggFan Posts: 31
    Any suggestions to the vinagar sauce you used? Is that recommended or is it fine by just pulling it apart and storing in fridge for sammiches all week?
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,679
    I usually sauce it when I'm done pulling/chopping. I don't go overboard with it though. Then, a shaker bottle at the table if anyone wants more (they usually do). Here's what I use. Looks sorta like what Chris Lilly used in the earlier video.

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• A large butt can sit in a plateau for 5+ hours...I am guessing 3 hours for that size.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I saved that sauce Michael ;)
    Thanks, Tim
  • CAEggFanCAEggFan Posts: 31
    Holy test tube testicle tuesday!! Wow. We'll see. I'll post and let you guys know how long.

Strange that a butt plateaus like that. Wonder why....
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    My guess about three hours. Tim