Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - what temperature? and if using

Options
grillman16
grillman16 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza...What temperature and how long should I cook it?If I use the baking stone, are the legs UP or DOWN?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Legs down, pizza stone on top of platesetter with an air gap (egg feet work for this). I bake mine at 400 dome for 1/2 hour or so but many like to go nuclear. I have tried higher temps with less satisfying results but that is just me. Pizza's on the egg are one of the wow foods.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I stabilize at about 450 with the platesetter and stone in place, the feet make a great gap for the stone. Sprinkle some corn meal on the stone and place the pizza on that. As for how long that depends on the style of pizza, when I do a thin crust 15 minutes or less. I spin the pie half way through the cook. With three people in the house with a separate pie for each we eat in 45 min.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    grillman16: You will get many different replys to your question. Remember with the egg, there are many 'correct' ways to do things. It all depends on which method each person prefers.
    We do our pizzas at 550*, plate setter legs down, green feet then stone. A thin crust will take about 9-10 minutes.
    Remember to give that pizza stone as LONG as possible to pre-heat. We count on at minimum 45 minutes pre-heat, and hour is even better.
    Have fun with it! You'll find what works best for you! ;)
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    I use place setter legs down then one pizza stone ontop of the ps. next I put the 3 green feet ontop of that then another pizza stone . this is the one I cook on.
    I cook around 500+ range. I rool out dough and place on lightly floured and cornmealed parchment paper. then I trim the paper with scissors so its the same size as the rolled out pizza dough. then I top pizza and place on egg with pizza piele. after checking pizza I pull off parchement paper from out under and let finish.
    I like my pizza more on the well done side. this method gets you great crispy crust and a pizza slice that does not droop.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I wouldn't cook under 550. Any pizza place does not cook under that if they have a decent oven (as far as I know). Unless you buy a frozen pizza from the supermarket.
    Here is the one from a few days ago. first one at 700 and just under 3 min.
    IMG_0156.jpg
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I really like your thermometer holder...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I like the double pizza stone setup. On the 550 cooks I never had a problem with a single on the PS with the green legs. On the last hi temp, I would have wanted more space. I will try your setup next time.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    my thermometerholder also doubles as a drink holder
  • Analog
    Analog Posts: 1
    Options
    I purchased a large egg and a pizza stone, but read in your post that there are "egg feet" that help with getting an air gap. I don't see the feet listed in the accessories. Should they have come with the stone?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Three ceramic green feet...they should have come with the egg.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I just used 3 extra feet I got from the dealer. The stone does not come with it. Some people use cotter t's to raise the stone. Use anything that can take heat. no big deal, just raise it off the plate setter. I think a couple inches at least is best.