Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Brisket

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon,[p] I need a little help. I have been asked by the dept to bring a secondary meat for Thanksgiving Dinner at the office. They want a Brisket to go along with the spiral cut Honey Baked ham. I have cooked four briskets, at separate times on my egg, and all the cooks have come out Great. BUT, I personally don't like Brisket. Does anyone out there have a receipe for a "kick butt Brisket" that will show how well the Egg does its job. I have read all the receipes from the Eggfest and although I have tried several, I again have not had one that "knocked my socks off." Please help!! I have been bragging about my Egg for months. Is there a magic temp to take the brisket off the Egg. Thanks in advance.[p]Louisiana Redneck

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,[p]I just tried my first tri tip and I'll never cook a brisket again for beef sandwiches. My be a little high if cooking for a lot.[p]
    CWM

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,[p]Try this recipe.
    [ul][li]Cajun stuffed brisket[/ul]
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    bigarms,[p]Here' a better thread......it's a Chef Wil recipe.
    [ul][li]cajun brisket 2[/ul]
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    bigarms,[p] About how long did you cook it per pound. Who many people did it serve. Sounds like a great receipe. Thanks.[p]
    Louisiana Redneck

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    "Is there a magic temp to take the brisket off the Egg." [p]I take mine off at around 210 degrees. It's the only way I've ever gotten tender brisket. Mac

• Mac in NC ,[p]I would think that taking your brisket to 210 internal for the tenderness you want would sure cook out most of the moisture in the meat. Brisket is not a piece of meat that should be cooked until it is falling apart. I also feel that there is a very narrow window in finish temp for this meat and even a few degrees over or under will result in a great brisket or just a ho-hum brisket. [p]In my opinion, there are several things that will influence your final internal temp on this cut of meat for a great brisket. The grade of the meat being the first and most important. I usually find that the higher the grade, the shorter the cooking time and the lower the finish temp. In other words, the more marbling the meat has, the lower finish temp will be required. Both prime and choice will usually finish from about 185-190 internal and the lower grade of select will usually require as much as 200 degrees to get it cooked right. [p]Where you measure the temp is also very important. A typical packer cut brisket should be measured in the flat. Even with this, a typical brisket will have about a 5-15 degree difference from the thinner part of the flat to the thicker part of the flat. Most of the briskets might measure as little as 3/4" thick at the thinner part and as much 1-1/2" in the thicker part. In the real world, it is about impossible to get this cut of meat perfect all the way across the flat due to the difference in the thickness of the meat. Measuring in the middle of the flat is what most folks do but this will still give you a little overdone meat in the thinner parts and a little underdone meat on the thicker parts. Again, there is a very narrow window to get this meat perfect and even then, it won't be perfect all the way across the flat in most cases. Another thing, it is not wise to completely depend on an internal temp of the meat for being done as each piece of meat will be different. There are many ways to double check this meat and I can usually tell by how easy the probe goes into the meat. It can also be done with a toothpick, fork, or other methods. [p]The Egg is a great cooker for this meat due to the hotter area of the cooking grid in most indirect cooks. You want to place the thicker part of the meat in the hotter area as this will somewhat help with getting a more even temp across the total piece of meat when it is done. As with all your low and slow cooks, run the grid temp at least 40-50 degrees above the finish temp of your meat. Do not slow it down going thru the transition zone or up the temp after it has gotten thru this zone. NEVER depend on the dome temp for your cooks!! Be sure to always wrap the meat in foil after it is done and place it into a cooler for a minimum of three hours to give it time for the juices to redistribute thru out the total piece of the meat.[p]Like most folks, I sure don't get one perfect on every cook but when you do, you will know it!! [p]All of the above is just my opinion and I have approved this post. Sorry it is long.[p]Dave

• Old Dave,
    That was a very well thought out and insightful post. Thanks for taking the time to answer it in that fashion.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Old Dave,[p] Thanks for your post. It is extremely detailed. I appreciate it.[p]Louisiana Redneck
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    South O,[p]For a fella with fat farmer fingers, he types good. :~)[p]John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang Old Dave,
    What a fantastic post, and generous contribution of your time. Hope folks is listenin, cuz that is some good info there.
    Hope things are well out on the farm, on the cooker, and in the home.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ