Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple pie

Options
scuba322
scuba322 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone baked an apple pie? What did ya do and how long did ya do it at what temperature? Any help helps. Thanks

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Can't say that I have....but what others have said on the forum, if you have a favorite apple pie recipe use it. Just think of the Egg as a ceramic oven. Let the Egg go til it's up to temperature that your recepe calls for and the smoke clears (goes from black to a translucient) then put your pie in.

HTH
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I looked but could not find the recipe I've used from somewhere for apples in dutch oven, with other dried fruits, butter, etc. Little rum too. Anyway, it was way easy, and with some 'nilla ice cream is awesome. Also, this time of year, when you're done cooking dinner, throw some nice ripe peaches on (halved) and then slice em with some ice cream. Both are super easy and beyond good. I've always found pie other than pizza to be more trouble (and problems) than the work involved.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hey Scuba

In the past before I had a BGE I researched Apple Pies. If you can find a copy of the cookbook "the perfect recipe" by Pam Anderson on pages 319-321 you can find the best information and recipe. She has done all the research for you and her recipe is spot on. She goes into depth about which apples make the best pie and which to avoid. I never knew it mattered.
    She explains that some apples hold their shape when cooked and some do not. Braeburn, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Rome Beauty and Winesap will retain their shape when cooked. Cortland, Empire, Macoun and McIntosh will not and turn to apple sauce when cooked (she uses this to her advantage). According to her Fuji and Red Delicious loose their flavor when cooked and do not make the best pies. She uses a few apples that do not hold their shape to fill in the gaps around those that do and helps hold the juices in the pie. She also cooks the pie filling before making the pie. This way she has control over the filling and juices and she also eliminates the void that forms under the top crust when the apples are cooked in the pie when they shrink from cooking. The top crust is on top of the apples, not a 1/2" or 1" above it.
    For the crust most recipes call for butter and shortening. I replace the shortening with lard and get a much better melt in your mouth crust. Also do not over mix your crust, you can make it tough by forming gluten which may be good for pizza's but not for pie crust. Bake just like your regular oven.

I had to give up the pies when I found out I was diabetic. I would do anything for a good hot apple pie and a scoop or two of homemade vanilla ice cream. :P

Good luck,

Blair

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    425 for 40-50 mins or until it starts bubbling. I would use Cowboy lump and let it clear well.

This is one the First Mate made last year
    DSC_0003-3.jpg
  • scuba322
    scuba322 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05676JPGa.jpg

Well, I'm no baker..... but everytime I bake anything in the Egg (from biscuits to turnovers to pies) I pretty much follow the oven directions, and they usually come out pretty good. Things like cornbread come out better than made in the oven.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery