Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Bay Blackening versus Paul Prudohmme

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New to blackening (and LOVING IT), so tonight trying salmon and scallops. However, used Paul Prudohmme for first round, then bought a tin of Old Bay Blackening Spice for tonight.

Did not know the Old Bay would be...how do I say this...so Old Bay'ish...(duh). Very different smell (and assume flavor) than the Paul Prudohme (which is heavier on the garlic and onion powder, and salt).

I would be interested to hear how folks have liked the Old Bay blackening spice. Smells sweeter but less hot, if that makes sense.

Everybody have a GREAT Friday night!

Dave in Keller, Texas

Comments

• egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    I've tried both and, for my tastes, prefer PPs. But give the Old Bay a try...you may love it :cheer:
  • LFGEnergy
    Without stating the obvious, kind of why I posed the question....the OB smells a little to much like one of our crawfish boils rather than a piece of blackened fish, but surely going to try it! And you know, on a piece of salmon, it may be the trick!

Thanks much for your comments!

Dave
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    My preference is PP. I've tried Old Bay, just didn't like it as well as PP. To me they taste totally different - I ended up throwing the Old Bay away.
  • LFGEnergy
    I hear you....but still trying it :unsure: ;)...at least once.

Dave in Keller, Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dave,

I would add some cayenne to Old Bay.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LFGEnergy
    Excellent...may add a little garlic powder also. But will do one original, just to get a fair comparison...

Thanks!

Dave
  • Just curious on what the price of these are in the USA, just happen to run across a store yesterday that had abut 6-7 different kinds of the PP product. I started to buy but thought it was a little expensive (a little less than $3.00).

Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Your question really hit home on a somewhat different dish - gumbo. I just don't like it - never have. Live on the Gulf Coast and get scolded often, but there's just something about essentially boiled crab claws, oysters, and shrimp that doesn't appeal to me. I hosted a business lunch today and we served gumbo (as I'm told by all who eat this particular cook's gumbo that it's good). It sure looked good - nice chunks of okra and sausage - savory roux. I gave it a try - just could not get past the shrimp taste. I wish I liked it - our guests did - so much so that we loaded them up with take home containers. I guess that's really the way I feel about Old Bay - ahh, the glory of to each his own.
  • LFGEnergy
    The blackened fish spice in US is 2.99 (at least at my local store in Texas).....
  • LFGEnergy
    So, tried Old Bay Blackening for first time tonight, and will not use again. So completely different than the PP blackening spice, and not in a good way. Little or no flavor, and what was there just was not that good.

Glad I tried it, that is how we learn, but will NEVER use it again :sick::sick: :unsure: :(

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • Thanks LFG....actually after I posted I got to thinking that 3 bucks was not all bad even though it's a smallish container...will load up next time I am at the store.

Cheers, Mike
  • LFGEnergy
    Mike,

Just got on the ChefPaul.com website, and they have the 2 ounce Blackened Redfish spice for $3 per 2-ounce jar. HOWEVER, they also have a 24-ounce container for $12!!! That is like $1.50 per ounce compared to $0.50 per ounce!!!!!

I suggest you try it first with a $3 bottle, and then consider a larger purchase. However, you wll find the the PP tastes like you expect blackening spice to taste if you have eaten blackened fish in fine eateries.

Good luck!

Dave in Keller, Texas