Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Just add pics comp right now what do you think

rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
edited 6:36PM in EggHead Forum
Well I put my buts on for a low and slow for a 115 pm turm in at 9 pm and some guys just put theirs on at almost midnight and we all have 4 10 pound buts to cook

I feel like I jumped the gun but I know what works if the others went on around 11 pm that will be pushing it no?

I ilk ne up all night loven my first cook comp

80616e2b.jpg
32f08e90.jpg
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Good luck!!! ;)I hope you have a good coler to hold them in. ;)
    ·
  • FatMikeFatMike Posts: 464
    oops I read that wrong..
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I think you did good. Don't pay attention to the others ( i know it's hard not to), because you really dont know what temp they are using. They know their cookers and you know yours. I would have waited no later than 9PM and I would make sure to cook at 250 dome. On a 10 pounder I would say any slip up (cooking at 230 degrees for 4 or 5 hours) and it may push you to 1 if not past 1. I think your fine though. Just my opinion.
    ·
  • rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
    Ok well 10 pound butt at 1.5 per hour @225 is 15 hours

So say it should be good to go by 1130 or so

Am I missing something
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    rzrrob: I think you are spot on! I am assuming about a 250* dome?? Don't let others intimidate you. You thought this out before the comp I am sure. Relax, and let the Egg Egg. ;)
    ·
    Running a digiq at a 220 grate temp almost a 250 dome temp

Ether way I got my drink on
    ·
  • FatMikeFatMike Posts: 464
    No I first read that wrong and I think Hoss may have too. I would have put them on at the same time as you. You will be fine
    ·
    *just read where your at 250 dome so you will be fine.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,843
    Just got up to see the full moon and mars and all I have is light mist and no sky. See you in the early am. Need anything???
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    If it does turn into a TURBO BUTT,You can hold it in a GOOD cooler up to 4 hours with no problems!My point was ALWAYS have a GOOD cooler. ;) Sorry if i was confusing.
    ·
    rzrrob...Do NOT let what others do become an intimidator!! You know what YOU know, they know what THEY know. Do your thing, and stay focused at YOUR task at hand. Ignore the rest. Seriously. ;)
    ·
    Would love to place to make you boys pround

Shou,d I foil mid point ?
    ·
    The only way I foil a BB is if I'm running out of time and it's not at 190 internal.
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Cook them the way you planned. You'll see folks putting them on at all sorts of times.
    ·
    Agreed! You foil, you screw the bark. Relax and let the egg do what it does. Where did you place the guru thermo? Grid?
    ·
    On the meat prob half Inch from the grate
    ·
    rzrrob: You are spot on...keep your confidence! :) You have thought this all through, don't let the others make you second guess yourself! ;)
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Timing is not my strongest suit on butts however with the size of them and that temp I don't think you'll be in bad shape at all. You look like you got a nice set up and have it all togeather. Just relax and enjoy. TRY and remember this is supposed to be fun!! :laugh:
    ·
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Go with what you know and good luck. Keep us informed.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
    ·