Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Trying my first pork butt!

Options
CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions? It's ~4lb. No injections.

Rub?
Wood?
Temp?
Time?
Process?

I've conquered the 311 method on baby backs so ready to step up to the big time, thanks!

Comments

• Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Cook it at 250 with the wood of your choice until it is done. I usually take mine off at 195 in the money muscle (the side away furthest from the bone). You can make a simple rub with brown sugar and all sorts of spices. It is an easy cook. Go for it.

No need to foil...but do put foil under to catch drippings.
  • CAEggFan
    CAEggFan Posts: 31
    Options
    OK so after researching extensively I've determined that I have a small butt (2.5 lbs). No bone.

Plan is to lather with mustard and then dizzy dust rub.

Stabilize at 225 with pecan wood.

It's such a small buttt that I think it should be done in 7 hrs or so. Use Maverick until 200deg and then wrap in foil for a couple hrs then pull.

Thoughts?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    It probably won't take all of seven hours, and I'd go 250* instead of 225*
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I make small butts too and I found letting it go to 200° makes it too dry. I pull at 190° at the most and it's always perfect.

I did one to 170° and pulled it off so I could have slices instead of shredding it. It was delish! I'll do that again.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Have never used mustard on a butt (Ribs yes). Always have produced a great bark without it and pull 190 - 195.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Judy, I have to agree with you on the small butts and the pull temp. I always smoke the biggest butts I can find from 8 to 10 pounds but, recently I seen a sale on 4 pounds for $.89 per pound so I cooked up three and they took 8 hours. I took them to 205 degrees and in the end I thought they were a little over done. If I do another small butt like that I will pull it at 195 or so. Glad you said that. Tim :)

Three butts in the books

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=949759&catid=1
  • ThailandBBQ
    Options
    I did a little less than a 4 pounder recently and it took 9 hours, a couple of forum members told me that you never know with a small one how long it may take and it usually takes longer than "usual". I did mine around 250. It hit the plateau at 163....I remember that number very well! BTW it turned out great, I pilled at 195 but next time would pull at 190 to see if there is a significant difference.

Mike
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    amazing, i just did my first butt the other day a 3 pounder and it took 7 hours to get to 195. kind of shot that 1.5 to 2 hours a pound theory.
    it must apply to bigger ones. The next one will be bigger as i want some leftovers next time.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I am trying my first "Butt" also. I have done several briskets, ribs, chicken, slow moving omnivores... This is also my first overnight cook, I was a bit concerned don't had a Digi-Q or anything fancy like that just the DMFT and the draft door.

Got up at 5:30 this morning fire not out just low, Butt still at 160, mixed things up and I am back on track, still in the plateau but back on track.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Full video on cooking butt.

Uncle Phil
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Well my Butt went Turbo and was done at 8:00a pulled at 190, tender, moist, yummy! MMMMM breakfast...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.