Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help! Trying my first pork butt!

CAEggFanCAEggFan Posts: 31
edited 7:39PM in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions? It's ~4lb. No injections.

Rub?
Wood?
Temp?
Time?
Process?

I've conquered the 311 method on baby backs so ready to step up to the big time, thanks!
·

Comments

• ChappyChappy Posts: 198
    Cook it at 250 with the wood of your choice until it is done. I usually take mine off at 195 in the money muscle (the side away furthest from the bone). You can make a simple rub with brown sugar and all sorts of spices. It is an easy cook. Go for it.

No need to foil...but do put foil under to catch drippings.
    ·
  • CAEggFanCAEggFan Posts: 31
    OK so after researching extensively I've determined that I have a small butt (2.5 lbs). No bone.

Plan is to lather with mustard and then dizzy dust rub.

Stabilize at 225 with pecan wood.

It's such a small buttt that I think it should be done in 7 hrs or so. Use Maverick until 200deg and then wrap in foil for a couple hrs then pull.

Thoughts?
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    It probably won't take all of seven hours, and I'd go 250* instead of 225*
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,616
    I make small butts too and I found letting it go to 200° makes it too dry. I pull at 190° at the most and it's always perfect.

I did one to 170° and pulled it off so I could have slices instead of shredding it. It was delish! I'll do that again.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • Have never used mustard on a butt (Ribs yes). Always have produced a great bark without it and pull 190 - 195.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Hey Judy, I have to agree with you on the small butts and the pull temp. I always smoke the biggest butts I can find from 8 to 10 pounds but, recently I seen a sale on 4 pounds for $.89 per pound so I cooked up three and they took 8 hours. I took them to 205 degrees and in the end I thought they were a little over done. If I do another small butt like that I will pull it at 195 or so. Glad you said that. Tim :)

Three butts in the books

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=949759&catid=1
    ·
  • I did a little less than a 4 pounder recently and it took 9 hours, a couple of forum members told me that you never know with a small one how long it may take and it usually takes longer than "usual". I did mine around 250. It hit the plateau at 163....I remember that number very well! BTW it turned out great, I pilled at 195 but next time would pull at 190 to see if there is a significant difference.

Mike
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 979
    amazing, i just did my first butt the other day a 3 pounder and it took 7 hours to get to 195. kind of shot that 1.5 to 2 hours a pound theory.
    it must apply to bigger ones. The next one will be bigger as i want some leftovers next time.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    I am trying my first "Butt" also. I have done several briskets, ribs, chicken, slow moving omnivores... This is also my first overnight cook, I was a bit concerned don't had a Digi-Q or anything fancy like that just the DMFT and the draft door.

Got up at 5:30 this morning fire not out just low, Butt still at 160, mixed things up and I am back on track, still in the plateau but back on track.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • Uncle PhilUncle Phil Posts: 665
    Full video on cooking butt.

Uncle Phil
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Well my Butt went Turbo and was done at 8:00a pulled at 190, tender, moist, yummy! MMMMM breakfast...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·