Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Addition of Thermometer

Options
JCO
JCO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How hard would it be to add another thermometer to the dome? I know all I would have to do is drill a hole where I want it, but has anyone done this? Will it void my warranty? Is there a chance of cracking the dome?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Yes, it would void the warranty on the dome for sure. You could probably drill the dome without cracking it, but why do you think you want another through-the-dome thermo? There are so many other options available that frankly I don't see any reason to do this.

Mark
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I agree with WW. Why not just use a normal digital one and close the lid on it. Don't crack your EGG. Just not worth it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I agree with WW & NC-CDN, there are many other options.

Exact temperatures are not all that critical. Make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer and check it one in a while.

If you feel you need another thermometer than get a remote or external digital thermometer add an alligator clip to the pit probe and clip the external thermometer to the dome thermometer just above the 'indent' close to the tip. Don't be alarmed when the two thermometer don't read the same.

What is important is the temperature of the food you are cooking.

My 2¢

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    The man with one watch always knows what time it is, the man with two is never sure.

If you want temps higher up in the dome, slip a digital's probe down through the petals of the DFMT. If you want grate temps, lay or clip one to the grate.

I agree with the others, this is a lot of risk for little return.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    It would be simple. I drilled some holes in a bottom shell with a masonry bit and there was no cracking. The drill bit goes in pretty easily, so just be gentle and drill the hole if you choose to do it.

As to voiding the warrantee, you'll have to ask BGE as no one here probably really knows. BGE drilled the first hole in the dome and that didn't void the warrantee, so I don't see why you drilling a second hole would. But you need to ask BGE to be sure.

Give BGE a call, and good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • JCO
    Options
    The reason for an additional thermometer is not to get another read, it's simply a matter of positioning. I would prefer not to have to keep going outside in the South Alabama humidity to check if the egg is ready (or getting to hot, etc.). I normally prep the food inside while the egg is getting up to temp and if I had the thermometer 90 degrees from where it is now, I could check through the kitchen window, without interrupting preparations or other cooking and also avoiding mosquitoes, heat, etc. Yeah, I know, I could just rotate the whole table, but I would prefer not to do that.

Thanks for the advice on just simply calling BGE to see if it will void the warranty. I should have just done that first without asking here. The good thing to know is that it is easy to drill through and it won't break it.

Thanks all for the advise. This forum always extremely helpful.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ok, well that certainly makes more sense than what we had deduced, but for the record, drilling another hole of your own in the dome WILL void the warranty per Bruce Bohannon of BGE.

Loosen the carraige bolt nut on the dome band and rotate the dome till you can see the thermo and then tighten back up. Easy peasy.

Mark
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many folks have had to replace the upper dome under warranty. I've had to have lower shells replaced, but never a dome.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Doug, I have no idea honestly, but thankfully JCO can fix his problem in a jiffy without drilling any holes. If he would've just stated his issue to us clearly in the first place, we could have fixed him up straight away. By the way, if I ever wanna drill a hole in my dome, I know who to call as long as you don't make me look while you drill. :P hahaha
  • JCO
    Options
    Wow! That's simple! Sorry I didn't explain more when I originally asked, I didn't want to get too wordy. I'll try that right now.

Thanks, that is even more helpful!
  • JCO
    Options
    OK, I just rotated the dome and it was easy as pie. I should have done this a long time ago! Thanks a million again and again...
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Now what are you going to do when you want to read the temp from outside. :woohoo:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • JCO
    Options
    That part is easy! I just turn my head 90 deg. I'll be right there, so no problem. :)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    That's only a part of what makes this forum and Eggheads great. So happy I could help. ;)

Happy Eggin'

Mark :)