Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

little help for pulled pork resting

Options
blindmelon
blindmelon Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am doing a very large pulled pork menu saturday, and for timing purposes i want it still hot when the guests arrive around 4pm, but i have a few other long cooking items to be done during the day,my question is on a 8lb pp how long can it sit in the cooler and still be safe and good to eat. or do i need to let i rest like i normally do and then pull and refrige, if so how or what has worked best to getting it back to right off the egg form. any help would be great.

Chris

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    You'll probably get several different answers to this, but I feel pretty comfortable letting a butt rest in a cooler for up to 4 hrs or so.
  • Groundhog66
    Options
    I always foil it, and put it in a cooler with towels top and bottom...Like mentioned above, should not be a problem to keep for 4 hrs or so.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    Cory430 wrote:
    You'll probably get several different answers to this, but I feel pretty comfortable letting a butt rest in a cooler for up to 4 hrs or so.

x2. I did a small butt last Sunday - like 4 lbs, it sat in a cooler for 3-4 hours, wrapped in foil and a couple towels. Parts of it were still quite hot. Put a couple warm bricks in and you can go quite a while.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Do you have a polder type probe thermometer? I do this all the time. Leave the meat probe it it, double wrap in foil then towels & the cooler as stated. As long at the thermometer reads above 140 you are above the danger zone. nce it gets below 140 the four hour rule starts.
    Not hard & fast but you may be surprised how hot it stays for how long & this way you know what it is doing.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    So the 4hr rule applies to the growth of bacteria and the meat being in the danger zone....

You've cooked the meat, and presumabely at 200 internal killed all of the bacteria. I wouldn't stick a probe into the meat or cut it, because you could then be introducing that bacteria....

Sterilize the cooler, double wrap, beach towels into the cooler...

I've never measured the surface or internal temp, but wrapped in foil and in the cooler I think you will get at least a couple of hours before it hits 140, and then you have 4 hours (this includes serving time) so 4-5 is probably a pretty safe bet
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I use 5 towels in my cooler. 2 below, 2 above, one wrapped around. I have gone 6 hours several times before getting close to, but still above 140°.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've gone as long as six hours, but I honestly felt the quality of the pulled pork suffered by leaving it so long in the cooler. Just my opinion here, but I think the butts benefit being in a cooler for 2-3 hours, but begin to get a little too mushy after that.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ;)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    There's "what we wann'a do"...and then sometimes...there's "what happens"..lol!!!

That said...I use a 1 hour MINNIMUM!

Given my druthers.., I like to rest and serve after 2-2.5 hours!

Yes...you CAN go longer, but as was suggested here... It's my experience that the quality,(texture) starts to suffer after long holds in the cooler.

BTW...the warmed bricks are a great trick with coolers, no matter what you're keeping hot!

;)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I agree it gets mushy after a couple hours....

You can also hold it in an oven at the lowest setting....really anything at or below 200 should be fine if wrapped....
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Problem solved, get another Egg. This way you can do them parallel! Now you have the excuse.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!