Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Gas Stove Recommendations

Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A lightening strike to the power line behind my house burned up my electric stove of all things. Want to replace it with a gas stove. Want to get a hi end model. I have been looking at a GE Cafe series slide in model. Anyone used one of these or have any other recommendations?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Best this to do is check Consumers Reports.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Best this to do is check Consumers Reports.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    That's the first place I went. Just wanting some real life input. I hoped some of the great cooks out there would lay some knowledge on me.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    This place is like a consumer reports in itself. Someone will chime in. ;)

I just got a new one, but it's not real high end. A partially stainless gas Whirlpool with 5 burners, warming drawer and oven that will go convection for ya. Sure beats the pants off the electric glass top jobbie that came with the house.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Inksmyth,

Look at Wolf. You won't be sorry

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We ended up going with Blue Star. Not as well known as Viking or Wolf, but nice commercial-style burners and great quality. We've had ours about 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/

-John
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have used a 4 burner top Tappan for the last 6 years and no complaints. Had a separate electric GE oven microwave combo. In the '70's my x FIL had a 6 burner, griddle, double oven Garland and it was wonderful.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Like most here, I'll tell you about what we have. :laugh: We did a complete kitchen renovation two years ago and my wife always wanted a Viking range. We put in a Viking Professional with gas stove and electric oven. We love it.
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I recently upgraded my kitchen and went with the GE Profile freestanding gas range. I haven't really had it long enough to give you any good brand feedback but I've been very happy with it so far. I really love the look and all the great features.
  • Dual fuel is the way to go!
    The Naked Whiz
  • We got a Jenn Air dual fuel model. We were limited to the standard size, but we are happy with it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Before you settle on gas, look into an Induction cooktop. Awesome and mind boggling technology. Heats up much quicker and immediately cools down. It interacts with the metal in the pot by electro-magnetic thingies or something like that. If you take the pot off the stove, you can put your hand on the burner right away.

Works only with metal pots. Corning ware doesn't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i went with a lacanche cluny ten years back, really like the stove, its an old world simple design that i think i could rebuild if the day ever comes, no fancy gadgets, i didnt even order the broiler option
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    viking stoves are the best..... don't buy a garland....rr
  • now that's a stove...if you don't have any heirs, please consider leaving it to me! ha. those suckers are the real deal.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Things to consider, make sure all the controls are on the front, anthing you need to reach over or behind the burners is not good. Get black grates, anything opther than that shows up everything on them. On glass top, do not use us ammonia to clean them, same for porcelain grates and finishes. All the fancy do-dad, make no difference, set options to self cleaning, bake and convection bake, broil. I have a Kitchen Aid with a matching microwave, all black, best color is black, stainless is more work. Also compare BTU on the cooktop, look for highest BTU output.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Sorry about your loss. That happens in my neighbourhood all the time. We are lightning central I think. LOL

I have a GE profile 4 burner gas range with convection oven and warming drawer thingy. Works great. As with any stove I hate keeping the dam thing clean. Otherwise I love it. Won't ever go back to electric (element or flattop).

Viking would be sweet though....$$$
  • I bought a Bluestar which originated as the household line of Garland, and still uses the same components. Brilliant piece of equipment. Especially good for wokking as the 22K burners have a lift out piece that takes a wok perfectly.

Doug
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gary,

When we did the kitchen I wasn't conviced. I put in a two "burner" Wolf unit as well as the gas stove. If I were doing it now, I would rethink the gas entirely. BTW all metal pots do not work. There has to be ferrous metal in the base. Stainless, aluminum and copper don't work unless they have a steel plate in the laminate.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the black is nice, if the stainless gets a scratch you cant get it out and thats easy to do if your not thinking and use a scrub pad on it. definetly lean to a dark color. i also like big heavey grates so no fear of big cast iron pots and pans, would rather use my 17 inch lodge pan as a griddle so my griddle plate option is moot, it sits behind my stove. one option i really like is a big simmer plate, not sure any american stove has one built in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    One more thing real important to do, take your most uses pan and pots, put them on the grates, I learned this the hard way, I found two on my pans would not sit up and would fall to the handle side when empty, a real pain in the arse holio
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You might check here... http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

Many discussions on the relative merits of various brands and models. If anyone is unhappy with a brand, they're not shy about saying so. I haven't looked in awhile (who needs a good range? I have a Large and a Mini!! :)), but I seem to recall that Viking takes a lot of hits. You will find opinions on Viking, DCS, Wolf, Blue Star, Dacor, GE Profile, Lacanche, etc. Pretty much all of 'em. Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I recommend the Wolf. We put in a Wolf 6 burner range top when we built. Nicer than a cooktop. With the Wolf we use propane as natural gas was not available in our area when we built. Wolf ranges come from the factory either built for propane or natural gas. Other companies put on a kit in the field which cut down on the available btu's. But the Wolf propane is rated the same as the gas.

We also had the tank buried so no unsightly tank in the yard to worry about.

Like Carolina Q, spent tons on time on gardenweb when we were building. Lots of good info.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    PLEEZE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING KITCHEN-AID!!!!! :sick: The WORST appliances I ever OWNED!!!Bought TOP OF THE LINE KA stainless .Fridge-$6k nothing but trouble.Service sucked,would NOT cover ANYTHING under warranty,always some excuse as to why,loopholes.,Double Ovens-Plastic latches melted when on self clean.Undercabinet icemaker-$1k-worked on it 6 times in 1 year.Circuit board was not covered by warranty.Even the microwave door springs(plastic) broke.They had to order the parts and it took 6 months to get the parts.PURE JUNK!!! :sick: I could have spent a few more $$ and got REAL quality!Dacor,Wolf,etc.I have heard good things about LG's hi end stuff.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I remember Wolf had some gas leak issues a few years ago, but I'd think they would have cleared that up by now.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    We remodeled the kitchen about eight years ago and went with Kitchenaid with the exception of a Bosch dishwasher. I've been happy with the garbage disposal and the built-in fridge (only one service call for that monster so far), but we replaced the microwave fairly soon on and the double oven tries to burn my house down whenever we use the self-clean feature (which, now, is never).

I'd tend to agree with you, Hoss: Avoid Kitchenaid.