Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooling down at comps

Options
gobadgers76
gobadgers76 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I'm getting a Large Egg and will use it for chicken at competitions. I'm wondering how to go about cooling it down (getting coals out?) so it is safe to put back in my trailer. Figure I'm done cooking at 12 and want it back on the trailer at 3.

Thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If you take the coals out with a metal scooper and dump in a metal bucket, then empty the interior ceramics and leave the egg open, you'll be on the road in a couple hours. I just did exactly that a few weeks back and it worked like a charm.
  • gobadgers76
    Options
    Thanks - I was thinking of doing just that, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the ceramics out. I was wondering if anyone used a basket that could pull out the coals.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Ripnem is right... long tongs to pick the large chunks up and a metal bucket (or put water in a plastic bucket). I don't take my Egg apart to transport, just get all the lump out and leave lid open for a couple of hours to cool down...
    Kent Madison MS
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Shut the bottom vent and put some foil between the metal top and the dome to get a tighter seal. It'll snuff out the fire. I've only taken the charcoal out once. The ceramics take a while to cool but the fire goes out pretty quick. If you want a cold egg then get a coal scoop and remove the lump to the container the organizers provide for ashes/coals and leave it open as mentioned.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Make sure it is out of the sun when it is cooling down. We had broken down our tent too early once and the sun kept the eggs very hot. Too hot to handle. But we did get our first grand that event, so maybe the sun was a good thing. :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Get some good welding gloves and take it apart. Dump the coals into something fireproof. leave it apart for 30 minutes and it will be cool enough to pick up without the gloves.