Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

starting a fire with bbq guru

Options
jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the proper way to start a fire using the bbq guru?
Should i build a fire, get egg to temp and then install the guru to monitor the temp?
Or can i start the fire, install the guru and let it bring the egg to temp?
I have tried to allow the guru to bring the temp up before and it over shoots the temp. Indirect setup.
What is the proper way to use this?
thanks,
jon

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Hello Jon,

There are a lot of ways to do this and not are really wrong. When you read the guru manual it explains the guru learns as it comes up to temperature, so that is one consideration.

I light the egg in three places if I am using MAPP or starter cubes. In two palaces if using paper towel and oil and one place if using alcohol.

Other than MAPP the egg will have a quick and temporary high temperature spike then the temperature will fall down low again. Upon the the retreat from the initial spike is when I install the guru. To prevent an overshoot make sure you close down the blower slider. You may have a small overshoot but the guru will recover.

Kent
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    I use my Guru on a daily basis. start the fire and let the Guru regulate to whatever temp you set it for. Most guys say that they only use the Guru for low and slow cooks and never for any other cooks. My response to that is to ask if they only use the cruise control on their cars for long drives...
    I equate it to setting the temp control on your oven.
  • jonboy
    Options
    Thanks for the replies this evening.
    I have reviewed the other thread also.
    Still having problems.
    I started the egg about an hour ago 9:30.
    Using mapp torch, platesetter in and grid in, allowed grate temp to get to 225, put in guru with 275 target.
    fan kicked on and shot temp up to 315 currently.
    I am 1 1/2 hrs in and have overshot temp, smoker is pouring out smoke and cook is delayed.
    Any ideas how i have messed up?
    I would like to be able to start a fire, leave it alone and an hour later be able to cook. Current method seems to take several hours to be able to cook.
    jon
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    You do have the fan on the bottom half throttle? Daisy wheel almost completely shut? What condition is your gasket in. If it's shot you need to run the daisy completely closed. The Guru will blow the air it needs to out the gasket.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Also, if your wanting 275 and your at 315, you can probably go ahead with the meat and that cold mass will sink it back down below 275. Then the Guru will bring it back up. Just make sure all your settings are right. Daisy almost closed and fan slider on the fan half way closed.
  • jonboy
    Options
    Ok. Just checking the egg.
    It seems that i have a 25 degree difference between the guru and my maverick thermometer. I have them hooked together. Go figure....
    Smoke seems to be clearing up so i should be able to cook soon.
    I need to upgrade to the newer guru cyber so i can monitor from inside.
    I just need a little more practice i guess.
    Trying to use the recipe for smoked turkey from serious bbq. for a luncheon tomorrow. First time with recipe and overnight turkey, It should be a fun night.

thanks for the help,
    jon
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Here's what I do when I'm doing a Guru cook:

1 - Build the fire normally. I just dump in lump, then use paper towels wetted with cooking oil as kindling. Guru is out of the Egg at this point.

2 - I light the paper towels and let the Egg come up to 350-400* and let the lump start burning. It will take maybe 10 minutes, before the ceramic has a chance to heat up.

3 - I fire up the Guru and let it start controlling the Egg. I close down the vents of the DFMT about 90% to minimize any draft through the Guru blower.

This generally works well for me.
  • jonboy
    Options
    Just an update...
    515 the pit temp has dropped to 215 set point is 275
    food is at 150 and set point is 165
    what has caused the temp to drop and not be held?
    Is the guru not working correctly?
    I increased the food set point to 175 and the fan kicked back on...
    Not sure why the pit temp did not hold.
    any ideas???
    i guess i will try to find the manual and reread it.
    jon
  • jonboy
    Options
    guru settings
    alr 125
    ray
    bpr 10
    oly
    F
    i cant remember what these all stand for. Well f is for Fahrenheit.
    Could the food have reached the set point and gone into a holding temp? Not sure if guru has that ability.
    Off to guru site to look for online manual.
    jon
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    I think this is the Ramp Setting. ray=RAmp Yes (On). Maybe the ramp setting is causing the temp to decrease to the meat temp setting. It senses that completion is nearing.
  • jonboy
    Options
    After reading the manual again and a cup of coffee,
    I think you are right about the ray setting.
    I turned it off, raised the set point and the smoker temp quickly recovered.
    Turkey is off now and waiting for lunch.
    I hope it is tasty.
    jon
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    I have the ProCom 4 but am currently doing a video on the BBQ Guru. My experience has been to get the lump loaded, put you blower fan in place, lift the lid, turn on the blower and lite the candle. The airflow from the blower will provide the needed oxygen to fuel the fire. If you use the Club to start the fire, just poke it into different places to lite the lump evenly. Once it is going, adjust your fan speed and get ready to cook,

Uncle Phil