Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the Dome Temp around 220-250

Options
JimW
JimW Posts: 450
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my Egg last week and was successful grillin' up some steaks ( boy were they moist). Anyway, i marinated some spareribs with some of JJ's Rub and am trying to get the Egg to stabalize around 230. The bottom vent is barely open any and the top metal vents are pretty much closed. The Dome temp hovers around 280-300 and i can't seem to get it drop?? I am afraid closing the vents completely will put out the coal.[p]Any help would be appreciated.[p]Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Jim W,[p]Close up the top. It leaks enough that it won't put out the fire if the bottom vent is open about 1/2" or a little less.
    Don't open the dome either - that just lets in more oxygen.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Whoops, I should mention that it is very hard to get the Egg to loose temp - that is why it is soooo important to make sure the dome temp does not get away from you for very long. You may not be able to get it down now - so close it up and it will slowly drop. You won't hurt anything, you may need to flip the meat more often to avoid burning.[p]Tim
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Thanks for the info! I got the temp down to around 240, that should be close enough. I'll keep my eye on it though. [p]Once you get the temp locked in does it pretty much stay there or do you have to keep fiddling with the vents? [p]Since it is very hard to lower the temp, how are you suppossed to do the steak recipe in the Egg manual where you get up to 600 degrees and then it says to lower the temp down to 300. We tried this with 4 steaks and after the searing the steaks were done. [p]Thanks, Jim
  • Tim M
    Options
    Jim W,[p]OK, you missed step one in the manual. Please repeat step one and then go to step two. Now, let me save you some time by telling you step one -- <FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="RED">Throw Away The Manual</FONT></FONT>. Now, lets go to step two - which is log on to this website and ask for help. [p]In other words - ignore the manual. It says you can do ribs in 45 min too but we all know that they would be awful.[p]There is no way you can cook at 600 and then at 300 in anything less than 3 hours, maybe 2.[p]Tim