Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi, Cyber or Nano?

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Egg Heads. Birthday time is coming up soon and my wife is already asking for ideas of what to get me. I know I want one of these Egg temperature control devices but I am not sure which one.

So, as usual I come to you fine folks to get your input. Which do you have or which do you prefer? What are your likes and dislikes about your unit? What doesn't your unit do that you wish it did?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I have the nano Q. Never used the others so I can't speak to their awesomeness. It would be nice to have a visual display, but I assume there would be more likelihood of a malfunction. Simple is sometimes better. Still, it would be nice to see a readout to know 100% that the number I have it set for is the number I have.

The nano is cheaper ultimately and does the same job. Wife got me one for XMAS a while back. I love it. Would buy another.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Very few people have multiple controllers, so any reply you get will be biased, based on their knowledge of one type.

I have a Stoker, and love it. Probably, the most important feature is being able to control it from my computer and see a graph of the pit and meat temperatures as the cook progresses.

The Naked Whiz has a product comparison that might be interesting to you.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Village Idiot brings up a good point. I've been doing a lot of research and most people have just one unit and seemingly love it. It doesn't sound like you will be disappointed with whatever you choose. Wheter it be a BBQ Guru or stoker they all get good reviews. That being said, after doing the research I'm getting a Stoker so like VI I can see and control my pit from work or my phone. Sure you can do it with the Cyber Q but it uses a USB port instead of a CAT 5 and I like that the stoker can have it's own twitter account that can tweet temp updates while I'm running around, having a cold one at the local tavern, etc.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mudflap,

Actually, it's better than that. I use a wireless bridge to my home network, so I don't need cat-5 cable.

Yes, I also use twitter when I go away. I never was able to get the email option to work though. I'm sure it's my ignorance.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    I heard that but don't fully understand that yet. Gonna start with the cable then move on to wireless.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    GeorgiaBorn wrote:
    I want one of these Egg temperature control devices but I am not sure which one.

Which do you have or which do you prefer? What are your likes and dislikes about your unit? What doesn't your unit do that you wish it did?

GeorgiaBorn, I have a CyberQ II. I love my unit. It does everything I want/need it to do. I only wish it would spit quarters while using it. That would make me happier. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mudflap wrote:
    Village Idiot brings up a good point. I've been doing a lot of research and most people have just one unit and seemingly love it. It doesn't sound like you will be disappointed with whatever you choose. Wheter it be a BBQ Guru or stoker they all get good reviews. That being said, after doing the research I'm getting a Stoker so like VI I can see and control my pit from work or my phone. Sure you can do it with the Cyber Q but it uses a USB port instead of a CAT 5 and I like that the stoker can have it's own twitter account that can tweet temp updates while I'm running around, having a cold one at the local tavern, etc.

I don't want to debate Stocker vs CyberQ with you but I do use a cat5 cable while using my CyberQ II and my desk top computer about 40 plus feet away.

I have a CyberQ II and I have a Cat5 cable running 50 feet max from my carport attached to the house to a hole drilled to under the house and in the house and along the wall to my PC. I have usb/cat5 adapters that attach at each end and I'm running. Call AxionTech.com at (281)575-0007 Dallas,Tx. and order USSAUSBRJXT or go here;

http://axiontech.com/search.php?&ksfavl=&ksfprc=&ksfrat=&ksfcnd=&ksrt=avl&kdir=&kstl=0&kspg=0&ksspg=0

000_1158.jpg

000_1161.jpg

000_1165.jpg

000_1307.jpg
  • Wow, you guys are much more hardcore than me! I don't think I need anything that would connect to my PC, Twitter, cell phone, Facebook, etc. Pretty cool though but I don't think I need to take it to that extreme.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Just another biased opinion. I love the fact that I can control the pit temps and alarms from my computer and my Droid X. The stoker log graph is awesome and it tweets me. Great product.
  • I see you don't need to connect to a computer. So, if you don't need to control 2 cookers at the same time, I'd go with the DigiQ. The NanoQ is fine if you really want to save the money, but the lack of a display is a real pain, IMO.

As regards the Stoker, my experience was its pluses are that it can connect to a network and can control multiple cookers. The negative for me was that it wasn't as easy to setup and use as the DigiQ. I viewed it as a trade off.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I have a Nano, and it does a very good job. My only dislike is not being able to visually see the temp setting. I saved a few $$ by going with the Nano, and knew I wouldn't get a display readout. However, I wish I would have gotten the one with the readout.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    It depends on what you are trying to do, if you don't ever need to control 2 pits at once then don't waste your money on one that does (CyberQ or Stoker). If you do, then I'll let them duke it out.

As far as the NanoQ and DigiQ goes, They pretty much do the same thing,however the NanoQ is a does it in a bare bones manner. The DigiQ has a display so you can better monitor your temps. I think that being able to look outside to check the temp is well worth the added cost.

I have been using my DigiQ for over a year and I'm glad I got it. I have both an XL and a Lg, I managed to modify the fan adapter so that it fits on both eggs. If I ever have the need to control both pits, I'll probably buy another one. No internet connectivity, but I'll have a backup if one fails.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Just in case you don't know how the nano works, it's quite simple. As I stated and others too, it doesn't give you an on screen readout. When you depress the up and down arrows for like 3 seconds the unit resets to 225 (I think its 225...). Then all you do us push the up arrow as many times as you need (5 F increments) to get to your desired temp setting. You can also hold the buttons for 5 seconds and it will go to 475 or something like that. Adjust as needed. It's so simple even a caveman can do it. LOL. Once it's dialed in you don't have to do anything. Personally I don't tinker with my temps on my iphone or anything like that and likely wouldn't if I had the ability. Just set it and I'm done. Time to drink beer. When I change what I am doing I may adjust it as needed, but only after certain things are achieved. Be it time thing or food temp. Oh and you can save your setting to and it will start up with that set setting the next time. 250 is a good number. ;)

Money saved is more toys you can buy. Good luck. I think either way you roll you'll be a happy man.
  • Before purchasing my Stoker, I looked at the other options and decided on the Stoker for all the features it offered.

The amount of money I already spent on the Egg and the Eggsesories, I did not want to get something that later I would have to upgrade

After having the Stoker for two years, I now know I made the right decision

I just had the software on my Stoker updated and on Monday around 7pm, I will be putting two pork butts on my XL to be served for lunch on Tuesday

With the new software upgrade, I will post the IP address and anyone can check out my Stoker progress live.

Before the upgrade, the IP address was not password protected and anyone with the address, could make changes to my pit temp

I will post the IP address here Monday evening for the the long slow cook.
  • Ryano34
    Ryano34 Posts: 8
    If I could hook the digiq through a wireless bridge usb, I would probably buy that, but I don't think you can do that. I like the size of the digi, but the functions of the stoker
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    thailandjohn wrote:

... Before the upgrade, the IP address was not password protected and anyone with the address, could make changes to my pit temp

I will post the IP address here Monday evening for the the long slow cook.

Thanks for the post and great information. I will need to go make sure I have the latest firmware in my Stoker (another plus for the stoker). Updating the firmware is easypeasy.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have both the Stoker and DigiQII and have use both extensively. Out of the models you chose I would go with the DigiqII and you should take a long hard look at the Stoker.

A lot of folks say it is harder to use, but in actuality it really isn't. The Stoker has much more options which involves the potential of more menu selections.

You may never want to hook and control a second egg but you may well want to monitor several different cuts of meats. The CyberQ will monitor 2 cuts of meat and control 2 eggs. There is no limit on how many pieces of meat you can monitor with the Stoker.

I was making some summer sausage (fantastic BTW) and wanted to monitor different sizes of the logs. The cook also took 3 stages of temperature through the smoking process. I connect the stoker to the computer and all the monitoring and control is done via the computer screen (or smart phone or any other device that can display a web page).

sausage_summer.jpg

I purchased extra food probes (only one blower) so I could monitor multiple meats and multiple eggs.

I have had to use the service department on the guru control unit. The service was fantastic. Unit in warranty.

I have had to use the service department on the Stoker - pit probe reading odd - unit about a year out of warranty. The folks at Stoker sent me a new updated pit probe and N/C. I am not sure if the free replacement is normal or not but I sure appreciated their gesture. Service was also fantastic.

Another plus with the Stoker, when the pit probe went out all I had to do was assign a food probe to the blower and that food probe replaced the pit probe which was sent in for service.

If I need to control or monitor 2 eggs. I can use the Stoker on 1 egg and the DigiQIII on the second egg. I also put some of the Stoker food probes in the egg that is controlling the second egg. Now I monitor and control the first egg via computer and monitor pit and food with alarms the 2nd egg (DigiQII controlled egg)on the same screen on the computer.

I love both the Stoker and DigiQII and they both do a fantastic job. The DigiQII has a smaller foot print which is nice. If I am only using the DigiQII I hook up my Maverick ET-73 so I can follow the cook inside and away from the egg. When considering prices of the DigiQII think about adding $40 more for a Maverick.

Knowing what I know now I probably would purchase just the Stoker.

GG
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Hi everyone,

I enjoyed reading all of your comments and found the material very informative.

Thanks Again
    Marc